Log (n.)

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Spiff
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Spiff » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:47 am

Oh, well, perhaps we should start learning our kanji, Tim!
Learning to read squares would be more appropriate on my computer. :(
Spaceman Spiff

"The capacity for humankind to centralize its importance in the grand scheme of things is quite impressive."
- Tim Ward

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:21 am

Learning to read squares would be more appropriate on my computer.
When you get back from your interplanetary travels, mon cher Spiff, you might try modifying the coding used in your computer (here I'm presuming a PC and Micro$oft software) : click on «View», scroll down to «Encoding», and then fiddle around with the options found there. I myself am now using «Western European (ISO)» and have no trouble reading Japanese or Chinese graphs from the Agora, but other texts sometimes require me to use, e g, «Unicode (UTF-8)», «Chinese Simplified (GB2312)», «Chinese Traditional (GB5)», «Japanese (EUC)». Try it and see what you get !...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:25 pm

Learning to read squares would be more appropriate on my computer.

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:44 pm

And, honestly, I'm just as good at reading squares as I am at reading Kanji.

-Tim

Spiff
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Spiff » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:28 am

Thank you, henri. I just returned from a well deserved holiday on the planet Zork and am eager to try it all out.
Spaceman Spiff

"The capacity for humankind to centralize its importance in the grand scheme of things is quite impressive."
- Tim Ward

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:32 am

Don't hesitate to inform us as to the results !...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:48 am

Fortunately, I located this thread after filing my applications for the university autumn semester. After quite some struggling, I managed not to go for "Written Japanese", but will try (I still think) to concentrate on Religious studies (2nd semester) and Chinese (3rd).

While at it, instead of starting a new thread, I would like to draw your attention to www.languagehat.com, 050415 :) , on the Edward G.Seidensticker translation of Genji Monogatari and links to several Japanese versions, and 050412 :mrgreen: on classical Japanese poetry, with links that look very interesting indeed.
Irren ist männlich

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:35 pm

I clicked on the link you provided, Anders, but despite repeated attempts got only failure notices. Could you check it again ?...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:37 pm

No, it's right. I even made some contributions myself there. Man, the world is suffering an overexposal to Brazilian dudes.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:38 pm

Oh, I know: take out the comma after com.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:05 pm

Thanks Anders, for the link, and BD, for making it work (I should have noticed that extraneous comma, but alas, indolence and senility seem to be engaging in a race to take over that collection of nerve ganglia I claim as a brain) ! The site is interesting indeed, and the prospect of reading 源氏物語 online is delightful, if daunting....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:40 am

Sorry for the comma and -- again -- not checking the link. But there still are some working gray cells. Checking back, triggered by Chapter 1, I managed to retrieve from elsewhere in the very last days of 2004, Flam-domo's
Dear Henri,

Kikutsubo is one very elegant name that you have named your daughter. It is quite a becoming name for a shakuhachi player. [Also it is reminiscent of two heroines of Genji-Monogatari Fujitsubo and Kiritsubo.]
Irren ist männlich

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:20 pm

Most of the ladies in Genji are known for aponyms. Kiritsubo, for example, is so named after an actual apartment that Lady Murasaki recounted that she was assigned by the emperor (customarily called Emperor Kiritsubo for his amorous affections with her but his name again is not mentioned anywhere in Genji). The apartment has a Sino-Japanese alias, Shigeisa. I like the semi-Occidental way it sounds.

BTW anders, -domo means a bunch of something in Japanese. Oc, you intended but write -dono but please note that there is only one Flaminius Iaponensis around.

Flam, :D

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:58 pm

BTW anders, -domo means a bunch of something in Japanese. Oc, you intended but write -dono but please note that there is only one Flaminius Iaponensis around.
Those minor mishaps in pronunciation can be avoided by using the proper graphs, in this case 殿. (That is why I was so intrigued to see that semi-phonetic representation of a Chinese official's name provided in the 朝日新聞 article I cited on another, unfortunately as yet all-too-short thread. I think it would do much to promote better relations between the people of the two countries - the governments, of course, will continue to play Realpolitik, irrespective of such efforts - if the media were to stop using the 漢字 cop-out and start indicating the pronunciation of proper nouns in the other language in articles and broadcasts.) And Flam, the second term in a Linnean classification is not capitalised - thus F iaponensis, a variation of our beloved H sap sap....

塞翁失馬焉知非福,塞翁得馬焉知非禍。

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:36 pm

Indeed it was meant more as a blessing, Flam 殿下.
Irren ist männlich

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”