Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
scw1217
Lexiterian

Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

Postby scw1217 » Wed May 16, 2007 2:32 pm

I have read these before, but must admit the runner up really has me laughing!
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"

Stuart Vasepuru
Edinburgh, Scotland
Suzanne D. Williams, Author
http://www.feelgoodromance.com

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Wed May 16, 2007 6:56 pm

Oh, no! It's Unclean Harold!

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Wed May 16, 2007 8:09 pm

Oh, no! It's Unclean Harold!
:lol: Took me a minute to get that one.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed May 16, 2007 11:30 pm

Ahhh, the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest. Also I love the bad Hemingway contests. They are good.

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Thu May 17, 2007 7:58 am

Ahhh, the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest. Also I love the bad Hemingway contests. They are good.
I read Hemingway once and couldn't get into his style of character conversation. It seemed unnatural and choppy to me. In any case, I've not heard of the bad Hemingway contest. In light of my opinion of Hemingway, they are either really bad or much better. :D

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu May 17, 2007 2:01 pm

I just now had a chance to read the full page. I loved every single bad joke (even the refrigerator magnates)!
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu May 17, 2007 3:11 pm

Suze, funny you should mention loquacious

mark bin-dere-dun-dat Bailey
I guess y'all really don't need me anymore.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Thu May 17, 2007 3:33 pm

Suze, funny you should mention loquacious

mark bin-dere-dun-dat Bailey
I guess y'all really don't need me anymore.
Great minds think alike eh?

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri May 18, 2007 2:15 am

I read Hemingway once and couldn't get into his style of character conversation. It seemed unnatural and choppy to me. In any case, I've not heard of the bad Hemingway contest. In light of my opinion of Hemingway, they are either really bad or much better. :D
Hemingway did have his eloquent moments:
They wrote in the old days that it is sweet and fitting to die for one’s country. But in modern war, there is nothing sweet nor fitting in your dying. You will die like a dog for no good reason. ― Ernest Hemingway

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Fri May 18, 2007 12:49 pm

They wrote in the old days that it is sweet and fitting to die for one’s country. But in modern war, there is nothing sweet nor fitting in your dying. You will die like a dog for no good reason. ― Ernest Hemingway
Nor did I mean to totally discount everything Hemingway has written. I just did not care for his style of writing.

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Fri May 18, 2007 5:21 pm

Thanks for the B-W link!
Unnatural and choppy?
Hemingway?
No. Natural and choppy. Mostly men speaking. REAL men thought Hemingway wordy. His characters used words. Didn't grunt and point. His characters spoke briefly. They spoke directly. They spoke true. They spoke this way before fighting for their country. Or fishing. Or hunting, or maybe drinking. When drinking they spoke briefly and true. Again.

Sorry...I think I was channeling there for a minute...

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Fri May 18, 2007 5:41 pm

Thanks for the B-W link!
Unnatural and choppy?
Hemingway?
No. Natural and choppy. Mostly men speaking. REAL men thought Hemingway wordy. His characters used words. Didn't grunt and point. His characters spoke briefly. They spoke directly. They spoke true. They spoke this way before fighting for their country. Or fishing. Or hunting, or maybe drinking. When drinking they spoke briefly and true. Again.

LOL. Channel on. It was the "briefly, directly" I did not like. I kept thinking, "No one talks like that."

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri May 18, 2007 8:52 pm

Unnatural and choppy?
Hemingway?

Very nice, skinem! For the unsure, there's a javascript generator (with a link to three chapters of an inactive Bad Hemingway story) to help find your inner Heming. This is one site. There are others.
It is written with gusto. It is written for laughs and the joy that comes from bad writing.

The writers of "A Bad Hemingway Story" struggle with the short sentences and the runon sentences and the pointless but rich descriptions for that is what writers of Bad Hemingway must do.

They write. They use email lists to write. They use the keyboard and the mouse. But most of all they write.

scw1217
Lexiterian

Postby scw1217 » Sat May 19, 2007 9:05 am

Thanks for that link, gailr. Though I did not read it all, I can say it was truly "Bad Hemingway"!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun May 20, 2007 2:42 am

Hmmm. I wonder when Hemingway wrote that; it almost sounds like he's quoting from Wilfred Owens' Dulce Et Decorum Est, but maybe he, too, was quoting Horace.

Wikipedia says the poem was written in 1917 but published posthumously in 1921.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Res Diversae”