Swedish subjunctive

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Swedish subjunctive

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:57 pm

Here's a challenge for our beloved Swedes. I'd like to see a subjunctive be used in the sentence in bold:
HÅLLER FETMA PÅ ATT BLI
EN GLOBAL EPIDEMI?

Liknande ämne:
Livet med diabetes
”FETMA har länge betraktats som en biprodukt av det moderna livet i rika i-länder, men nu drabbar fetma också utvecklingsländerna”, rapporterar den brittiska läkartidskriften The Lancet. Det påpekades att experter på näringslära nu varnar för ”en global epidemi” av fetmarelaterade sjukdomar som diabetes, högt blodtryck, cancer och hjärt-kärlsjukdomar.

I Kina har antalet överviktiga män tredubblats och antalet överviktiga kvinnor fördubblats under de senaste åtta åren, vilket har lett till att högt blodtryck nu är lika vanligt där som i USA. Av alla nya fall av diabetes som diagnostiseras förekommer över hälften i Indien och Kina. I Egypten är hälften av kvinnorna överviktiga, och antalet fall av diabetes är jämförbart med antalet i USA. I Mexico har fetma ökat snabbt i alla samhällsklasser och i alla delar av landet, med en motsvarande ökning av diabetes. Till och med i mycket fattiga länder söder om Sahara ökar fetma och diabetes.

Även om en kost bestående av fet snabbmat kan vara orsaken till fetma i en del länder, är en av de främsta orsakerna till fetma att många livsmedelsproducenter nu tillsätter mer socker i maten ”för att den skall smaka bättre”. Dessutom innehåller asiatisk och afrikansk mat mer ätbara oljor och följaktligen fler kalorier. Avancerad teknik i fabriker och inom jordbruket gör att det krävs mindre fysiskt arbete för att producera varor. Folk vill arbeta mindre och ha mer fritid. Nu när datorer och TV har blivit så populära får många mindre motion, och ”e-post har inneburit att man inte längre själv går med meddelanden eller går och pratar med sina arbetskamrater”.

Eftersom fetma ökar snabbt även bland skolungdomar, i synnerhet i områden där rekreation och fysisk aktivitet har minskat, är det viktigt att lärare är medvetna om sambandet mellan näringstillförsel och vad eleverna presterar i skolan. Gail Harrison vid School of Public Health vid University of California säger varnande att det förutom förebyggande åtgärder på det lokala planet ”behövs en gemensam handlingsplan för övergripande åtgärder, med tillhörande program, experthjälp och omfattande stöd från samhället”, för att handskas med fetmaepidemin och de sjukdomar som hör samman med den.
Languages rule!

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Swedish subjunctive

Postby M. Henri Day » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:10 pm

... I'd like to see a subjunctive be used in the sentence in bold:

Eftersom fetma ökar snabbt även bland skolungdomar, i synnerhet i områden där rekreation och fysisk aktivitet har minskat, är det viktigt att lärare är medvetna om sambandet mellan näringstillförsel och vad eleverna presterar i skolan.
Well, BD the presens konjunktiv of vara is, of course, vare, but I doubt if even de mest inbitna konjunktivkramare, such as Anders and yr mst hmbl serv, would have the guts to transmogrify the period cited above into «... att larare vare medvetna om sambandet mellan naringstillförsel och vad eleverna prestera i skolan». Lightning would likely strike us dead on the spot....

Henri
Last edited by M. Henri Day on Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:45 pm

I knew it!

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:40 am

I wouldn't hesitate using "that teachers be aware" in English, but a Swedish subjunctive would sound very wrong to my ears. I can't imagine it in German either.

If the main verb introducing the "that" clause were a verb of hope, it would perhaps be possible to use something from the may/might family, or a conditional.
Irren ist männlich

miku.
Junior Lexiterian

Postby miku. » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:20 am

anders, koennen Sie die betreffende Stelle uebersetzen? Wie waere es auf Deutsch? Danke! Oder zumindest in English :?
Rimboccamaniche e scioglilinguagnolo

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:45 pm

Thank you for asking that, miku! I haven't found a good online translation site for Swedish, and although my German reading skills are passable, there are enough differences that I really struggle with Swedish!

-Tim

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:44 pm

Well, I'm not Anders, but I'll do it all the same:

"that the teacher be aware of the connection between food supply and a pupil's performance at school".

Are you happy now?

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

miku.
Junior Lexiterian

Postby miku. » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:43 am

Never so much! Thank you, Bradu! :P
Only...where is here the subjunctive?: that + be?
Rimboccamaniche e scioglilinguagnolo

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:58 am

Evidently, my German translation yesterday didn't "take". :evil:

Da Fettigkeit schnell ansteigt auch unter Schüler, besonders in Bereichen wo Erholung und Körperliche Aktivität vermindert sind, ist es wichtig dass Lehrkräfte des Zusammenhangs zwischen Nahrungszufuhr und die Leistungen der Schüler in der Schule bewusst sind.
Irren ist männlich

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:14 am

«Food supply» seems to me here just a wee bit off as a translation of «näringstillförsel» ; as I understand it, what is at stake here is not so much the access of pupils to food, but rather whether they do in fact eat before coming to school and/or at lunch. Were I to attempt a (free) translation, it would end up something like the following :
[... it is important that]] teachers be/are aware of the relation between what a pupil eats and his or her performance in class.
Old fogies like myself might opt to place the verb «to be» here in the subjunctive mood (be) ; the majority of the Anglophone population would probably use the indicative (are) without giving the matter a second thought. In Italian, formal or written speech would require, I believe, the congiuntivo presente ([... è importante che] insegnanti siano ...], but again, I suspect that a majority of the population would use the indicativo presente ([... è importante che] insegnanti sono ...) in casual speech. But perhaps our new friend (benvenuto al foro, Miku !) could provide us with further details on the use of the subjunctive in colloqual and elevated speech in Italy today ?...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:11 am

«Food supply» seems to me here just a wee bit off as a translation of «näringstillförsel»
I totally agree with you. I was in a kind of a hurry when I did this yesterday, but you're totally right.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:13 am

that + be
Yep, that's the English subjunctive, which has the same form as the base form of the verb. Pretty easy for us, huh, Romance language speakers who have 1234897 forms for the same verb, hehehehe.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:48 am

Bradu (;)), I think Miku was asking where in the Swedish the subjunctive lay.
Which, if I may, would be here:
...att lärare är medvetna om sambandet mellan näringstillförsel och vad eleverna presterar i skolan.
...that teachers be aware...

-Tim

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:47 pm

Tim, accepting for the sake of argument my translation of the passage, supra, which of the two forms, «be» or «are», would you use - or would it depend upon the level of discourse ?...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

anders
Lexiterian

Postby anders » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:53 pm

Bradu (;)), I think Miku was asking where in the Swedish the subjunctive lay.
Which, if I may, would be here:
...att lärare är medvetna om sambandet mellan näringstillförsel och vad eleverna presterar i skolan.
...that teachers be aware...

-Tim
To clarify, är is "is/are", and perfectly indicative.
Irren ist männlich

Return to “Languages of the World”