Minge/minger

A discussion of word histories and origins.
melissa
Junior Lexiterian

Minge/minger

Postby melissa » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:52 pm

as in
ginger minger, she's a minger ... any etymology?

*know they are different words*

behave

bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:06 am

This website says that "minger" comes from Scots Gaelic. But given that it is vulgar word, I'm not sure we should rely on that assertion.

Also, given the definitions, it seems likely the words are related.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:25 pm

This website says that "minger" comes from Scots Gaelic. But given that it is vulgar word, I'm not sure we should rely on that assertion.
Aye, I'd trust the Urpin' Dictionary about as much as I'd trust a Yugo to drive coast-to-coast.

Just to be picky, Scots and Gaelic are different entities; Urpin' cites the latter. But where's Jackie when we need her?

The Google also yields this strange video (warning: strong stomach required, esp. 1:18-1:24).
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:25 pm

I'll admit. I bailed in the middle.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:54 am

Grailr, one of the Grand Panjandrum on this site, suggested Online Etymology Dictionary in connection with another question, and I decided to give "minge" another try.

There they state that first-use was in 1903 and that the origin is unknown. I think that the first-use date makes the Gaelic origin doubtful.

Cheers,

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:09 pm

I'm glad the etymonline was helpful, bnjtokyo. I have to credit Tim Ward for tipping me off to that site.

By the way, thanks for the elevation to "grailr" (smile). Although many related cultures contributed to that myth cycle, this gail is derived from the cymric rather than the scots and/or gaels of this thread.

melissa
Junior Lexiterian

minge/minger

Postby melissa » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:45 pm

Thanks guys, seems the two are probably related at least. Not buying the Gaelic origin tho, never heard the Scots or Irish use them but then the whole 'ginger' thing is an English concept as well.
And sluggo, thanks for that mingin' video link, I lol'd, it was inventive, there's hope for youtube yet. watched it twice, sent it to my sick friends. The cutting was harsh tho.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:53 pm

Except you could tell it wasn't real cutting, only red glop on top of the skin.

Now, for some REALLY cheesey effects, I saw an old "monster" movie, at the drive-in once with some friends. I think plot involved a mad scientist using surgery to speed up the evolution of some big cat (cougar, tiger, something on that order) into an intelligent being. The beginning had a screen that said there would be a scene so horrifying, that when the alarm sounded, those with weak stomachs should close their eyes. Part-way through the movie I hear a bell ringing. My first reaction was "Hey! Someone answer the phone!" That was the alarm. The "horrifying scene" was someone taking an X-acto knife (instead of a scalpel) and slicing into the skin / rind on a baked ham into an area that, when cut, had a spot that looked like it had been injected with some dye. That almost made "Plan Nine From Outer Space" look professional!

AHA! IT WAS PANTHERS! Island of Lost Souls (1933) based on The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells. That must have been it!

Oh, yeah, if you want some REAL gore, check out my melanoma page.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:02 pm

There's something disconcerting about having one's insides showing. especially to one whose insides are outside.

mark has-been-flayed-open-by-a-chili-can-lid Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

melissa
Junior Lexiterian

I forgot

Postby melissa » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:18 pm

Stargzr, you intrigued me at the word 'profound' and I clicked, so sorry. Cinema blood is pretty, entertaining to me. I lose it at the sight of actual ... thanks Bailey, 'insides'. Not bothered so much by blood whether real or cheesy ketchup, but raw painful flesh, and knowing it is real is where I draw the line. I winced. And I did not click thru. Dropped a butcher knife thru my foot and 1/2 inch thru a hardwood floor, it hurt. Blood was pretty, pain wasn't.
I'm a bleeding ginger but
what was the topic? oh yeah pretty red things ...

Return to “Etymology”