Impressing what used to be called «the fair sex»

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Impressing what used to be called «the fair sex»

Postby M. Henri Day » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:52 pm

I didn't think that I could, in good conscience, deny fellow Agorists the opportunity to read the brief article reproduced below, which I have taken from yesterday's New Scientist....

Henri
Risk-taking boys do not get the girls
10:30 17 April 2005
Exclusive from New Scientist Print Edition
Kurt Kleiner

WHETHER it's driving too fast, bungee-jumping or reckless skateboarding, young men will try almost anything to be noticed by the opposite sex. But a study of attitudes to risk suggests that the only people impressed by their stunts are other men.

Futile risk-taking might seem to have little going for it in Darwinian terms. So why were our rash ancestors not replaced by more cautious contemporaries?

One idea is that risk-takers are advertising their fitness to potential mates by showing off their strength and bravery. This fits with the fact that men in their prime reproductive years take more risks. To test this idea, William Farthing of the University of Maine in Orono surveyed 48 young men and 52 young women on their attitudes to risky scenarios. Men thought women would be impressed by pointless gambles, but women in fact preferred cautious men (Evolution and Human Behaviour, vol 26, p 171).

Reckless thrill-seekers might be trying a more subtle route to women's affections. Men say they prefer their same-sex friends to be risk-takers, and women prefer high-status males. "So if he has higher status among other men, women might like him for his status, even though they don't like the risk-taking in itself," Farthing says.
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Re: Impressing what used to be called «the fair sex»

Postby KatyBr » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:27 pm

article New Scientist....

WHETHER it's driving too fast, bungee-jumping or reckless skateboarding, young men will try almost anything to be noticed by the opposite sex. But a study of attitudes to risk suggests that the only people impressed by their stunts are other men.
of course it's done to impress other men, but it's because they can't do something stupider like running at each other at 20mph to butt antlers or engage in rabid breast beating accompanied by yodeling.Altho' thre are those who do do those things.

Futile risk-taking might seem to have little going for it in Darwinian terms. So why were our rash ancestors not replaced by more cautious contemporaries?
But girls and some neanderthal women do like to live-on-the-edge vicariously by dating dangerous boys. My foster daughter said, "It's so I can tame him" (and we all know how well that works.) Jeff foxworthy says it all ends when you're hanging out of a trailer in a tube top and a black eye screaming, "Lock his @&& up!"

One idea is that risk-takers are advertising their fitness to potential mates by showing off their strength and bravery. This fits with the fact that men in their prime reproductive years take more risks. To test this idea, William Farthing of the University of Maine in Orono surveyed 48 young men and 52 young women on their attitudes to risky scenarios. Men thought women would be impressed by pointless gambles, but women in fact preferred cautious men (Evolution and Human Behaviour, vol 26, p 171).
Actually women prefer men who can bring home the bacon, either figuratively or literally. no woman wants a wuss. Even the horrible American career *itch.

Reckless thrill-seekers might be trying a more subtle route to women's affections. Men say they prefer their same-sex friends to be risk-takers, and women prefer high-status males. "So if he has higher status among other men, women might like him for his status, even though they don't like the risk-taking in itself," Farthing says.
High status men are those who are respected by other males

Katy

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:31 pm

I hear that women doll themselves up for other women, not for men. Can any of our distaff crew corroborate that thought?

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:32 pm

The sample was way too small!

Bad girls like to date the bad boys, but like to settle down with the good boys, and still date the badboys.

Good girls like to date the bad boys, marry them, decide they can't tame them and then divorce them, and marry a real wuss that they can control and who doesn't mind being a father to another man's kids.

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:08 pm

How about the thought that there is no magic formula?

-Tim

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:50 pm

There IS no magic formula, Even the HS pizza face and ninety pound weaklings have trophy wives by age 30.

Katy

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:58 pm

I only have six years left then. I'd better rush.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Return to “Res Diversae”