LODESTAR

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

LODESTAR

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:01 pm

• lodestar •

Pronunciation: lod-stah(r) • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A guiding star, a star that shows the way, particularly Polaris, the North Star. 2. A guiding light, a principle by which we may set our course in life.

Notes: The trick in using this word is to avoid confusing lode "way, path, course, channel" with load, though nothing of any great importance hangs on it. Most dictionaries accept both spellings and, in fact, both words derive from the same source (see Word History).

In Play: Most often we use today's word in reference to a guiding principle: "'Doing well by doing good' has been and will continue to be the lodestar of this organization as long as Mr. Grace is president." We can have personal lodestars, too: "Minding my own business has been the lodestar that has gotten me safely this far in life."

Word History: Today's Good Word is an old derivative from the ancestor of lead "to guide, direct, show the way", the same source as load. The original meaning of lode is "road, way", a path that leads somewhere. It also turns up in other words and phrases like lodestone "magnetic iron", a substance that leads pieces of steel toward it. The phrase the mother lode, referring to a major vein of some valuable metal, also relies on the sense of something long and narrow leading somewhere. Back in the 16th century a lodesman was a guide or boat pilot, again, a kind of leader. (Today we thank Mark Bailey, a lodestar and Grand Panjandrum of the Alpha Agora, for furnishing the lead to this exceptionally Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:53 am

A two syllable suggestion from the chimpish Marc Bailey, who usually walks a lonely lode, loaded down with short one syllable words.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:43 pm

A two syllable suggestion from the chimpish Marc Bailey, who usually walks a lonely lode, loaded down with short one syllable words.
It's a long and winding lode that led to this, dror.

f/x: rimshot

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:21 pm

A "lodestone" (ok, a compass) and literal lodestars have made my life, um, longer.

Thanks for this word. I've always liked it.

Does that make me weird(er)?

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:40 pm

Does that make me weird(er)?
NAW that's not what makes you weird, lol*
funny thing, I'd completely forgot suggesting it and was checking with interest as to who had suggested it, a surprise....

mark *couldn't-resist-THAT-set-up Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:55 pm

It's a long and winding lode that led to this, dror.

f/x: rimshot
:lol:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:22 pm

So then someone who shines as an example for us would be in the Lodestar State?
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:31 am

Well, "wherever you go, there you are". :wink:
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:54 am

that's a load.

mark sorry-just-had-to Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Return to “Good Word Discussion”