Crayfish, crawfish, and crawdads

A discussion of word histories and origins.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Wimpy Squirrel Burger

Postby Bailey » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:22 pm

Actually I'm sure Mc$ has thought of it already.
I believe they did have Kangaroo burgers in Australia once. If you don't remember the resultant bruhaha, I think it was in the 1970's.

mark long-term-memory-is-20-40 Bailey

The "king" liked Squirrel burgers?
www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=11757

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

eberntson
Lexiterian

Postby eberntson » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:17 am

Yes, I remember the Roo-Burger scare, but I thought it was the early 1980's. I remember buying the burgers and trying to taste the difference. Mc$ is still playing with adulterating the beef in various countries. Just don't eat the green ones.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

eberntson
Lexiterian

Postby eberntson » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:30 am

Squirrels will eat anythings even crack cocaine & dogs... see below:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4489792.stm

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... e96909.ece

It is strange that humans all over the place have such a fascination with these rodents. Some love them, others despise them. I wonder how far back this fascination goes?

Or is it just a modern thing that we don't just look at them as food? Although I know people have keep squirrels as pets, just like pigeons. But even the pigeon coop was a store for live stock to be eaten.

~c0
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
talk less, say more,
--R. Burns

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:48 pm

Speaking of eating kangaroo--here's where Greenpeace stands on the issue as of a few weeks ago. Wonder what a fight between Greenpeace and PETA would look like?

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 62,00.html

melissa
Junior Lexiterian

eats, vittles, crawfood

Postby melissa » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:38 pm

@ eberntson: door mice? for shame. But, I will eat anything in the meat category, if it has passed the Darwin test, meaning it would stand a chance in the wild. Also anything that hasn't passed, once I've observed them eaten by my fellow humans with no ill effect. Yes escargot is meat. Not sure about some chicken, though it does taste remarkably like chicken.
Agree on cannibalism and Clowns, though in my mind there is a huge difference. Auntie, what exactly did you do in the carnival?
If your brains weren't involved, you may be a candidate!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: eats, vittles, crawfood

Postby Bailey » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:53 am

Auntie, what exactly did you do in the carnival?
If your brains weren't involved, you may be a candidate!
Ok, just two comments, I thought geeks were exclusively male, to now suspect otherwise fills me with dismay.

And
I lack the Zombie diet experience also.

Although I have seen that film 'scenes of death[?]' where Americans travel to exotic places to kill a monkey with mallets, table-side and scoop it's still warm brains from it's skull to eat, I was nauseated on so MANY Levels. It reminds me of cats that terorize mice before delivering the coup de grâce. Or more than likely just let them die, tortured.

mark too-soft-for-adventurous-eating Bailey

HAHA

kb

eberntson
Lexiterian

Geeks & Door Mice

Postby eberntson » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:51 am

@mellisa: Hey, I just looked up "door mice" and it is actually "dormice", and after looking at pictures I would find it hard to eat one of them. They are way too cute, but again if I was hungry I could eat one in a meet pie. Same way the natives of South America eat guinea pigs during times of great hardship.

Bailey: Geeks can be any gender. Granted there are more male geeks then female. But geekism is not limited to sex, culture, religious, orientation, etc. Trust me I have been a geek for most of my life and I have seen many fem-geeks. I work with 4 or 5, and married one. Next you'rr going to tell me geeks are only associated with computers; if that were true we would not have needed the descriptions "computer geek" back in the 70s & 80s.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
talk less, say more,
--R. Burns

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:05 pm

may I quote Melissa encore:
Auntie, what exactly did you do in the carnival?
no computers there implied or otherwise but the original form of geek, a man who eats the heads off of chickens.

mark very-dismayed-indeed Bailey

kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:33 am

no computers there implied or otherwise but the original form of geek, a man who eats the heads off of chickens.
I got your joke the first time, Bailey, but the chicken act just doesn't play well in Peoria...

eberntson's geeks have supplanted the others (perhaps a surreal example of Social Darwinism?). And what's more, I have yet to meet an IT geek who isn't ready, willing, and very able to 'bite the head off' of anyone exhibiting fear in the presence of artificial intelligence. :twisted:

-gailr

melissa
Junior Lexiterian

geeks

Postby melissa » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:36 pm

I like where this thread is going ....
That quote implies that you are not a frequenter of carney subculture. It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken?
No I will not go there hehe. But I consider myself a geek and a computer one as well. And my Auntie may have choked a few chickens, but she only bit human heads. Rarely.

Btw, "Faces of Death" is what you're looking for? Odd that it reminds you of cats, which are just fulfilling their destiny as fluffballs of death. I love teh kitteh.

melissa
Junior Lexiterian

yes

Postby melissa » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:57 pm

@eberntson,

Yes dormice are way too cute. And if you married a geek, I'll bet you are both cute as dormice as well, and as gailr said, not afraid of intelligence, artificial or not.

Is 'luddite' onomatopoeic? no, just seems that way.

eberntson
Lexiterian

not afraid of intelligence, artificial or not...

Postby eberntson » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:50 pm

As for chicken, pertaining to :
[quote] not afraid of intelligence, artificial or not. [/quote]

@melissa, we have both been accused of being "cute", and together doubly so.

@Bailey: Just because we don't know of any publicly performing female geek, doesn't mean there weren't any in time gone by. I think social norms would surely have prevented a little girl from becoming a performing geek in the carnival, public morality being what it was. Women could only be a mother, wife, whore, adventurer, bearded ladies, nurse, school teacher (spinster), fortune teller, witch, queen, princess, damsel (see “distress”), trapezes artist, rubber women, dancer, fat women, nun, widow (see burden or nun), or lovely assist. Actually, the carney subculture seems more liberal then the rest of society, since they allowed women to have more opportunity then the mainstream culture. Society and opportunity for women was very limited in the west until the 1900's. (sorry if the frank verbiage offends)

(line to cross)
--------------------------------------

To paraphrase several great minds and mash it all up, and to give "geekerthol" his due.

Let use Bailey’s intended original definition for “geek” I painfully know the classical definition, I was there when the classical definition was used to hurt "computer geeks". And at that time we only used the word between ourselves ( 1-computer-geek-to- another) in solidarity. Society as always take a will to recognize language drift; the dictionary, even online, lags way behind.

I digress, here is my mashed up twisted thought; Aesop said "Don't count your chickens before they are hatched." Smart old Aesop, and let's count the chickens we do have:

[b]1) Chicken[/b] - Always ready to cross any road, is considered not to be the smartest animal. I think we can agree with that, even without it's head it runs around the same as it has, granted for a limited few moments more.

[b]2) Intelligence [/b]- this is truly in short supply, so much so that we have an abundance of "stupidity" in this world.

[b]3) Artificial Intelligence[/b] - the art of making computers that behave like the ones in movies. I am right by MIT and if there was an intelligent computer out there I am sure I would suspect something about it.

[b]4) Geek-erthol[/b] - is assumed to have always been male, (never an "auntie"), bit the heads off chickens for entertainment (his or the publics one can bot be sure), and was thought to be stupid and did this because "he" had no other choice.

[b]5) Geek [/b]- [i]{modern}[/i] originally called "computer geek", but now assumed to all but the luddites, to be a adept technician specializing in skills and knowledge in relation to technology based on computer science and/or electronic. Secondly not limited to technology, but can be anyone focused on intellectual challenge, artificial or not; but to the exclusions of social skill or normality or a broader world view outside of intellect.

[b]6) Computer[/b] - a calculating machine that is used to foul things up so fast it would take a human many man months to undo or equal the err. This devise is only limited in it ability by the level of quality of the information put into it. "Computers do exactly what you tell them, not what you intend them to do." Oh, and "they do it at the speed of light." Remember GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out).

So here we have our triad of characters as follows:

[list]A geek who is smarter then is thought, and fearless to boot. And unable to express this genius in social settings except to friends of a similar mind set (i.e. geek clan).

Then a chicken that is thought to be stupid, and stands on the precipice of the tarmac waiting for compulsion or reason to do something (e.g. cross the road).

And finally the Computer, that some ascribe/describe Artificial Intelligence too. Which will do what it is told, and very well. [/list]

I would call this a "rock, paper, scissors" situation, where the rules are as follows:.

[list]Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity of the chicken.

Stupidity is the devil. Look in the eye of a chicken and you'll know. It's the most horrifying, cannibalistic, and nightmarish creature in this world. But the geekerthol is willing to bite it’s head off.

The geek is not afraid of the computer intelligence, but is worried about the products of science such as cloning of humans, along with behavior control, genetic engineering, transplanted heads, computer poetry and the unrestrained growth of plastic flowers. But he does tend to count chickens before they are hatched, even though he knows he shouldn't. [/list]

So what is the solutions to this "Computer, Geek, & Chicken" game? (besides silliness & absurdity whose line was crossed a while ago) I will paraphrase Oscar Wilde whom I assume once quipped,

[quote]"People who count their chickens before they are hatched, act very more intelligent then those that are stupid, because chickens run about so absurdly that it is impossible to count them accurately at any moment without a computer. And even then the chicken might be hit by any imaginable conveyance crossing a road."[/quote]

Which brings me back to my original thought which Bailey will probably agree with, "I (geek or not) while in front of the computer like to eat chicken, evil or not."
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
talk less, say more,
--R. Burns

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:42 am

OK, seems like a long ways to go to make such minor points, but ok.

mark whew Bailey

kb

eberntson
Lexiterian

Postby eberntson » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:00 am

@Bailey: Well as they say each journey begins with one step. But a journey is not a beginning and just an end, it is the the hills, valleys, and forests between that make it a journey worthwhile. My humor is sometimes obtuse & dry.

Plus, Bailey I had to end it someplace.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
talk less, say more,
--R. Burns

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:11 am

Just as long as you don't confuse exhaustion with acquiescence .

mark confirmed-luddite Bailey
Last edited by Bailey on Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kb

Return to “Etymology”