I know this should probably go in the Spelling Forum...

A forum for discussing US dialects (accents).
shacolourdes
Junior Lexiterian

I know this should probably go in the Spelling Forum...

Postby shacolourdes » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:16 am

Though this strikes me as interesting:
I was emailing my cousin in Georgia and he typed me a message about how his girlfriend's grandmother is very sick. He got into this long story about how she doesn't want her grandmother to die (like any normal human being wishes their relatives a long life) and, of course, I sympathize (I think I spelt that wrong but I'm a bit lazy to check :P , being it's a quarter passed one in the morning), but I noticed one thing in his spelling that I would never notice unless I paid particular attention to it...
He makes double-letters EVERYWHERE- but never where they need to be.
Now, I don't want it to sound like everyone from Georgia does this, but I noticed that my other cousins in a different part of the state do the same thing and I just don't know why...

Just in case you're wondering, words I noticed from emails, letters, etc. that were spelt oddly ranged from simple to semi-difficult (that is, depending who you are). "Lily" to "Lilly", "Dilemma" to "Dillemma", "Felon" to "Fellon", etc.
This just bothered me for whatever reason...
Maybe I'm just tired and cranky because I can't sleep...

O yea, and if you're wondering why I mentioned the whole thing about his girlfriend's grandmother, it's because I first realized the spelling of "Lily" was wrong when he said that her grandmother wanted a "Lilly flower" to be in her hands when she's to be buried.

Sorry for being so random, but that's who I am, I guess!
shaCOLOURdes ~ colour in shades...
there's a recessive "ll" gene somewhere in our DNA.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: I know this should probably go in the Spelling Forum...

Postby Stargzer » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:38 am

... but I noticed one thing in his spelling that I would never notice unless I paid particular attention to it...
He makes double-letters EVERYWHERE- but never where they need to be.
Now, I don't want it to sound like everyone from Georgia does this, but I noticed that my other cousins in a different part of the state do the same thing and I just don't know why...
Hmm. Does that mean he spells "village" as "vilage?" Pretty ville if you ask me. :lol:

Lilly " ... is a surname and a female given name ... " so I can see that being confused with the flower.

Interestingly, Fellon is listed as a last name (not one I'd want) and as a variant spelling of Felon, related to Fell[sup]3[/sup] ( fierce; cruel; dreadful; savage; destructive; deadly)

I have no idea why they would do that -- unless there's a recessive "ll" gene somewhere in our DNA.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:29 am

reminds me of the oft seen 'ocassion.'

mB

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

shacolourdes
Junior Lexiterian

Postby shacolourdes » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:17 pm

Does that mean he spells "village" as "vilage?" Pretty ville if you ask me. :lol:

I have no idea why they would do that -- unless there's a recessive "ll" gene somewhere in our DNA.
Actually, quite honestly, he has done something similar, spelling "millions" as "milions" :shock:

I know he's not stupid, though, because he is very brilliant academically, otherwise, but he just doesn't spell too well, i guess... :?

(I'm emoticon-happy right now) :roll: :wink:
shaCOLOURdes ~ colour in shades...
there's a recessive "ll" gene somewhere in our DNA.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:03 pm

He must be a science major. Either that, or he makes good use of the spell checker in his word processor.

:lol:
(I'm emoticon-happy right now)
Don't worry; be happy!

:D

And have a Happy New Year, with or without emoticons!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:48 pm

(I'm emmotticcon-hapy right now)
Fixed it for you. :wink:

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Double Ls

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:40 pm

Double consonants generally indicate that the vowel before them is short: bill vs. bile, ball vs. bale, ville vs. vile. However, there are quite a few exceptions, especially among words borrowed from other languages, like felon and Lily.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Return to “The Rebel-Yankee Test”