gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:00 pm

*gailr covers eyes and weeps in fancitement at seeing the Sheiks, kinda live.*

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:00 am

*gailr covers eyes and weeps in fancitement at seeing the Sheiks, kinda live.*
An all-too-frequent reaction, sadly. Having but two hands does make it difficult to cover ears and nose as well. :o
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:49 pm

:lol:

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:32 am

I am ashamed to admit :oops: - the video is in.
Run for your lives or else be subjected to this and that.

Call it a cure for curiosity.
Where did your cinemetographer learn his or her trade? On the first seasone of Homicide: Life On The Street? :wink: (That was one of my favorite shows. It's just that the first season's camera work could make a sailor seasick!)

Then again, if I ever joined a jug band, the only talent I could bring would be that of emptying the jug. Other than that, I sing bare-of-tone in the key of Off. I had guitar lessons in my youth, so I know how to read music and how to play the guitar. That doesn't mean I do it well. That's like saying I studied Latin and French in high school! :roll:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:59 pm

Where did your cinemetographer learn his or her trade? On the first seasone of Homicide: Life On The Street? :wink: (That was one of my favorite shows. It's just that the first season's camera work could make a sailor seasick!)
Aye, that could have been one of the reasons it took so long to get this to digital (I only got it a couple of weeks ago and as you see it was shot in 1935). Ironically the cameraman has since gone on to some award-winning productions, but on this night he was just out for a lark, on the premise that some is better than none, and brought just a tiny hand-held. I thought of editing to still shots but you can see how much work that would be, so this is entirely raw footage, except for the titles and credits.

Another vid should be going up today, just when you thought it was safe...
Then again, if I ever joined a jug band, the only talent I could bring would be that of emptying the jug. Other than that, I sing bare-of-tone in the key of Off.
Larry, you have just perfectly described the job qualifications for this band. Can you make next rehearsal? (note that we always rehearse, never practice-- if you practice, you get good, and we'll not be having any o' that) One more thing- you have to speak in a Cockney accent.
I had guitar lessons in my youth, so I know how to read music and how to play the guitar. That doesn't mean I do it well. That's like saying I studied Latin and French in high school! :roll:
Yeah, I learned to read (on piano) and I try not to remember any of that rot, as I find that kind of brainiacal abstraction only an impediment. I'd rather impede myself by ear :wink:

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:59 pm

Then again, if I ever joined a jug band, the only talent I could bring would be that of emptying the jug. Other than that, I sing bare-of-tone in the key of Off.
Larry, you have just perfectly described the job qualifications for this band. Can you make next rehearsal? (note that we always rehearse, never practice-- if you practice, you get good, and we'll not be having any o' that) One more thing- you have to speak in a Cockney accent.
Bloody L! With practice, not rehearsal, and a Mid-Atlantic accent thrown in for good measure (Warshington, DC). I thought I detected a cross-pondian accent in the video, and I was debating whether to have Homeland Security check your papers. I don't they give H1-B visas for jug band personnel--it doesn't require a bachelor's degree, does it? Besides, there surely are enough domestic crazies and loons that we don't need to import them. Then again, since I don't have to issue you a badge, it's not my problem, so I let it drop. Although with a name like Sheiks ... Mebbe you should change it to Shrieks. Some of you don't look old enough to be Sheikhs. Plus, it's more descriptive. :P
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:10 am

Couple more vids are up, this one 'specially for Gailr (pretend it's 9/19), and then this one as well. Or in our case, as not-well. :shock:

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:07 am

Arrrrr! It brung tears ter me ois, it did.

It brung tears ter me cat's eyes, too, but yer 'as naw ear fer foine music.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:03 am

Oy vey! Looking at "Barnacle Bill" I keep expecting to hear some kleizmer music.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:17 pm

Oy vey! Looking at "Barnacle Bill" I keep expecting to hear some kleizmer music.
I don't think it's not too far a jump from Jazz to Klezmer ( כּלי־זמיר ). I remember hearing a Klezmer clarinet on the radio one time; the musician made it laugh!
Regards//Larry

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:49 pm

That certainly is one of our, if not the, most-fun-to-play tunes with all the changes. It was a bear to rehearse too. Snappy just overplays his role so well, it can be hard to hold it together playing behind him.

Given a guest clarinetist we would shift to Klezmer in a heartbeat- the band has never been above vain attempts at slipping in everything from Chuck Berry to Gershwin. Our foundation starts with leaving any good taste or discretion at the door.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:42 am

From one Sheiks fan to the others, I've been tipped off that another 'shameful' video has gone up. I dunno, I think 'shameful' is just darning with faint praise. I'd go with 'reprehensible'. 8)

gailr waves an imaginary lighter...

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:05 pm

Well the professer can make anything out of coconuts but cannot fix a boat.

mark shameful-stairway bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:16 am

From one Sheiks fan to the others, I've been tipped off that another 'shameful' video has gone up. I dunno, I think 'shameful' is just darning with faint praise. I'd go with 'reprehensible'. 8)

Whatever woodwind was making noise in that video is what puts the shreik in the Basin Street Sheiks. Must be the speakers on this system.
Regards//Larry

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:01 pm

Thanks Ms. G -although burning down the building, while an understandable reaction to B.S. Sheik droppings, seems a bit extreme in terms of public safety...

Agreed, reprehensible is more accurate, and will probably appear on the website review section "soon"
:D
Whatever woodwind was making noise in that video is what puts the shreik in the Basin Street Sheiks. Must be the speakers on this system.
That is genuine plasticwind, thank you very much. I've never been a fan of playing winds, so I do like to play up flautatious flaws. :wink:

Someday if you're really unlucky there'll be a recording of our 'free jazz' segment where I break out the khaen, which may be described as resembling seven Peugeots coming to the traffic circle at the same time (actually in my hands it's more of a khaen-not).

Return to “Res Diversae”