relic

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
uncronopio
Lexiterian

relic

Postby uncronopio » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:17 pm

relic: something that has survived from the past, such as an object or custom.

The religious media frenzy of the last couple of weeks reminded me of another meaning for the word: 'part of the body of a saint or something supposedly used by or associated with a saint, venerated as holy'. When I was at school, there was a crucifix that contained a small piece of skin that belonged to Saint John Bosco. For very special occasions we would need to kiss this crucifix during mass. Yes, it sounds barbaric and now this has been cancelled for higiene reasons.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:25 pm

Yes, it sounds barbaric and now this has been cancelled for higiene reasons.
We had similar observances, and I asked about germs. (!!!) In addition to receiving an additional fourteen million years in Purgatory for questioning a Dominican Nun Image I was rebuked for implying that the Lord would allow anyone to get sick from a church (a view that still retains an iron hold on the minds of some chalice bearers).

Growing Up Catholic has a section on relics. The authors note the enormous amount of saints' relics (particularly during the middle ages) and relate them to contemporary values by comparing a shirt worn by Mick Jagger during a Rolling Stones concert to a shirt you wore to watch the concert. Then they muse on which of these categories most religious relics probably fall into...

When I was knee-high to a communion rail, all RC altars contained a reliquary, although this is no longer required. For a comprehensive, nay, exhaustive, look at religious relics, see here.

gailr

astrokatastro
Junior Lexiterian

Postby astrokatastro » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:49 am

i have
Last edited by astrokatastro on Fri May 13, 2005 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΝΙΨΟΝΑΝΟΜΗΜΑΤΑΜΗΜΟΝΑΝΟΨΙΝ

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:48 am

i have kissed relices of saints so many times and i have smelled their perfume (ευωδία) once. Am I a Greek barbarian? :D
more of a Greek antiquarian. I can see why I am not an RC. kissing skin is icky but kissing putrified skin? ewe! and all the ring kissing with all the new horrible germs going around sounds akin to handling poisonous snakes and drinking poisons to prove one's faith. But that's just me, oc.

Katy
Last edited by KatyBr on Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:23 pm

Well, if you analyze barbarian "Greekly", you'll come to the conclusion that you can't be Greek and barbarian at the same time, because the Greeks called all foreigners barbarians, didn't they?

Brazilian dude

P.S. I'm relieved I don't have to kiss dead skin either.
Languages rule!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:59 pm

Kids! You don't kiss, touch, ogle, fold, spindle or mutilate the actual relics. That's why they're encased in reliquaries, to preserve them for the ages, both for and from the faithful. Not so different, really, than keeping a revered relative's ashes in the mantle, or the hairwork popular in the 19th century.

astrokatastro: for the less saintly (and more barbaric?) among us, please describe the odour of sanctity. Image

Here's a look at a couple contemporary artistic reliquaries. (I just call mine "temple boxes".)

gailr

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:02 am

Not so different, really, than keeping a revered relative's ashes in the mantle, or the hairwork popular in the 19th century.
I don't keep either.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:49 am

Gailr, I like the way you worked the temple boxes in. I never realized that the relics, like the estimated forest of slivers of the "TRUE CROSS" were not to be seen by the masses, but were kept in gold boxes. Hmmm ya larn sompin ever'day.

Katy

astrokatastro
Junior Lexiterian

Postby astrokatastro » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:22 am

Well,
Last edited by astrokatastro on Fri May 13, 2005 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:07 pm

Saints are people like us who live now or in heaven
According to the Bible Saints are those who are true believers, I'm a saint And a relic, And I don't smell. Just keep your lips to yourself, thank you so much!

Katy
:lol: :roll: :D

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:23 pm

That wasn't very saintlike, Katy. :wink:

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:27 pm

Or at least sanitary. Sanitary may be next to saintliness.

astrokatastro
Junior Lexiterian

Postby astrokatastro » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:37 am

Dear Katy
Last edited by astrokatastro on Fri May 13, 2005 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:52 am

Astro, according to the Bible, and I don't have my pc working so I can't take it directly from my online Bible its in Romans 1:3-6, Jesus being the Son of God, ressurrected, is our Lord, through Him we receive grace.....and you also who are called belong to Jesus Christ...(are) called to be saints." I paraphrased it because I can't see what I'm typing without my glasses and I can't see with them to read the Bible. But it's in there I'm not twisting it at all.

Katy

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:16 pm

astrokatastro:
...they exceeded the problem of deterioration...
I love this turn of phrase, astro!
gailr

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”