Hello!

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Hello!

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:05 am

Glad you dropped by. We think this forum looks better and works better than the old one. We hope you agree. (Let us know either way.)

This is where you can feed us the best words you know for our Good Word feature. It may take a month or more to consider a word, write it up, prepare the sound file and any graphics it might require. But we will check this section of the forum for your thoughts on a regular basis.

We are looking for words that have any interesting history, any interesting uses, unexpected meanings, or tricks in use. We try to cover as many frequently misspelled and mispronounced words as we can.

We may repeat some of the word we wrote up at yourDictionary. That is because the software we used back in 2000-2001 limited the number of words we could include in a 'Word of the Day' and we would like to finish what we had to say about those words. We will include them only occasionally, however.

Let us hear from you!
• The Good Dr. Goodword

andries
Junior Lexiterian

Postby andries » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:28 am

I want to suggest oxymoron as a Good Word

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Oxymoron

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:02 am

A good one. We will do it.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

n0my
Junior Lexiterian

Possible Good Word

Postby n0my » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:36 am

I'd like to find out if the word
sesquipedalian
is truly a word, what it means and why it isn't used more.
Purposely, no indication is being made as to my current belief, as I don't want to reveal my misunderstanding, if indeed it is.
Thanks! :lol:

KatyBr
Wordmaster

sesquipedalian

Postby KatyBr » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:14 pm

I first heard this word on My Three Sons an old b/w TV show, Uncle Charly used it a lot. It means user of large words, (many footed, in sylabyls I believe) I use it, but I use words I make up on the spot, too.!

Katy

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:05 pm

The sesqui- means 'half-again as much', in Latin. The -pedalian refers to 'feet'. So these are foot-and-a-half terms... In effect it is calling these terms unmanageable.

-Tim

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:07 am

I like it! Sesquipedalians make better Alpha-Agorists!

Good one, n0my!

Apoclima
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”