Of influence and origins

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:01 am

In the link in Sluggo's original post Teslacles is spelled Tesler's (Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Tesler's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in -- it must come out.). Teslacles could either be a spoof on the name of the famous yet eccentric scientist Nikola Tesla, or on a certain pair of parts of the male anatomy, making the name sound like a Greek character. Knowing The Firesign Theatre, I'd suspect the second. :wink:
Thanks, I meant to note their misspelling- going by the audio it's definitely three syllables, not Tesler's. I stop to wonder if it was intentionally Bowdlerized, he said redundantly.

Are most things, being said only once, dundant?

And knowing Firesign, I suspect both meanings.

Larry, how'd you like the Retro-Encabulator? I had you in mind there but maybe you already knew it...
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:36 pm

Larry, how'd you like the Retro-Encabulator? I had you in mind there but maybe you already knew it...
Oh, that first one was incredibly funny, expecially the sincerety in his delivery. The second was OK, but his delivery did not seem as inspired as the first, and his visual aid was not as interesting as the assorted cabinets in the first. The first seemed more of a Rube Goldberg than the second, which probably is closer the the original concept.

That's from one of the Firesign albums I don't have and haven't heard yet, although I think I may have a copy I borrowed from someone long ago and haven't had a chance to listen to yet.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Modi
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Modi » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:30 pm

If that is the case, then I am not to be blamed for my ignorance, for I never heard of them and I am not a native speaker in the first place. And thanks for your answers, qiute informative.
"Do you want to know hell, it's depths; hell is the company of the ignorant." My translation for a verse by Omar Al-Khayyam.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:21 am

Firesign Theater were a comedy troupe that first performed on radio, and later issued some albums of their works. They were silly and very funny; very influenced by old radio and television. We who reference them are revealing our grey hairs.

A sample quote: "Hi. I'm not a doctor, but I do look like one, and I am here to tell you that..."
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:33 pm

If that is the case, then I am not to be blamed for my ignorance, for I never heard of them and I am not a native speaker in the first place. And thanks for your answers, qiute informative.
Think nothing of it Modi- we wax whimsical here, veering off on shameless tangents of punning stunts. This was all a diversion.

So please advise- what is your mother tongue?

Modi
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Modi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:15 pm

I am Arabian, my mother tongue is Arabic.
"Do you want to know hell, it's depths; hell is the company of the ignorant." My translation for a verse by Omar Al-Khayyam.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:49 pm

I am Arabian, my mother tongue is Arabic.
Ah. I had many North African friends while working in France who delighted in teaching me some very useful phrases. I wouldn't know how to transliterate them but I could lay them on you if we were in person. The appropriate ones, that is :lol:

Well, we're all glad you're here. The more diverse we are the better.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:05 am

If that is the case, then I am not to be blamed for my ignorance, for I never heard of them and I am not a native speaker in the first place. ...
Firesign Theatre (they intentionally used the British spelling rather than the American spelling, Theater) started in the fall of 1967. Not everyone is a fan of their humor, but it is well-crafted and I enjoy it.

I'm a native speaker of American English. I think I know just enough French to aggravate a Parisian with my grammar and pronunciation. I can order a beer in German and Spanish and thank them for it, but that's about the extent of my foreign language knowledge, except for wishing someone Peace in Arabic.

Ignorance is the lack of knowledge or education, and everyone is ignorant about something at one time or another, but it is whether one wallows in their ignorance or strives to overcome it that shows what their real character is.

And yes, we do tend to wander off topic, pelting each other with puns. Someone has to do it! 8)

As-Salāmu `Alaykum :!:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Postby Cacasenno » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:03 pm

Scratch the surface and you can find some Arabic in any European language :)

Return to “Res Diversae”