Wet books restoration

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Modi
Junior Lexiterian

Wet books restoration

Postby Modi » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:42 am

Someone I know lost his books to water, they were in the basement and a storm occured at night, next morning he found the basement completely flooded. The books were in boxes since he just moved to that place, but that didn't help much, he found them extremely damaged. Is there anyway to restore them.
"Do you want to know hell, it's depths; hell is the company of the ignorant." My translation for a verse by Omar Al-Khayyam.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:49 pm

For water-logged books, the best option is to place absorbent paper between the wet pages - "inter-leaving" - and lay the books flat to dry. You don't have to place blotter paper between every page, just every 20-50 pages or so. Change the blotting paper every few hours.
Taken from this article.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:13 am

I'm not sure how well it works for soaked books, but my mother, who was a dealer, used cat litter for damp books.

Put the books and litter in a plastic bag and the litter will absorb the moisture.

Good luck to your friend.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Modi
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Modi » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:24 am

Apearently he ran out of luck. He said he couldn't reach but after 48 hours of the event. Many of the books were completely lost, which was sad since they weren't just a group of books but many and have been with him for a long time and contained some rare books and other that wee commented on by famous scholars.
Check this link to have a look at the boxes:
http://www.alwaraq.net/photo_popup.htm? ... 001407.jpg

Edit: I foget to say "Thanks for your coopration"
"Do you want to know hell, it's depths; hell is the company of the ignorant." My translation for a verse by Omar Al-Khayyam.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:41 pm

"Ya welly!"
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Modi
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Modi » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:21 pm

You reminded of this poet who said this in his poem:
"Wa wal-walat wa wal-walat
Waly Waly ya waylali"

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:23 am

I'm not sure how well it works for soaked books, but my mother, who was a dealer, used cat litter for damp books.

Put the books and litter in a plastic bag and the litter will absorb the moisture.

Good luck to your friend.
just a note on this note for future ref- in dealing with my own uninvited water issues I found out the hard way that cat litter may be scented :x -and then you have a sickly chemical odor to get rid of :cry:
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Return to “Res Diversae”