It's vs Tis

You have words - now what do you do with them?
Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:53 pm

You're not trying to make someone the butt of a joke, are you?

:lol:

Oh no! That kind of behavior is behind me now. :roll:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Modi
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Modi » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:33 pm

(But it's a good thing we aren't discussing tis in Arabic. LOL )
If you pronounce the "s" as in "see" it would mean a male goat of one year old and more. That would have been better than the one you considered wouldn't it? -_- Though still used as an insult.

Thanks for your and for Stargazer's. But Stargazer it's better for you not to know how English is taught as a foreign language that is, of course, in certain countries.
"Do you want to know hell, it's depths; hell is the company of the ignorant." My translation for a verse by Omar Al-Khayyam.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:43 pm

... But Stargazer it's better for you not to know how English is taught as a foreign language that is, of course, in certain countries.
:lol:

Yes. I'm sure it's British English that's taught. My youngest daughter spent a semester in London five years ago but didn't lose her American pronunciation.

And yes, it's spelled Stargzer, because there are days when I don't know if I'm missing an "a" or two "e's" ... but you can call me just about anything you want to. Just don't call me late for dinner! :roll:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:15 am

And yes, it's spelled Stargzer, because there are days when I don't know if I'm missing an "a" or two "e's" ... but you can call me just about anything you want to. Just don't call me late for dinner! :roll:
Now that you've brought it up, I've always enjoyed playing with words, and your board name is a good one. "Star" in Russian could be a shortened form of "stariy," meaning old. So you could be a Star Gazer, or a Stariy Geezer.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:37 pm

Modi,

The s in tis [/i,]or 'tis as the case may be, is pronounced more like a z. So you did guess my intention.

As for male goats, in Hebrew is is pronounced taish. No doubt the root is the same in both languages.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:19 pm

... Now that you've brought it up, I've always enjoyed playing with words, and your board name is a good one. "Star" in Russian could be a shortened form of "stariy," meaning old. So you could be a Star Gazer, or a Stariy Geezer.
Well, I'm not tall enough to play basketball, but I wouldn't say I'm short, either. I do like the play on words, though!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Grammar”