Collins English Dictionary

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Collins English Dictionary

Postby gailr » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:30 pm

Hangman, Spare That Word: The English Purge Their Language
For feminists examining muliebrity (the condition of being a woman), or soothsayers putting out their latest vaticination (prophecy), the available lexicon may soon get slimmer. The lexicographers behind Britain's Collins English Dictionary have decided to exuviate (shed) rarely used and archaic words as part of an abstergent (cleansing) process to make room for up to 2,000 new entries. "We want the dictionary to be a reflection of English as it is currently spoken," says Ian Brookes, managing editor of Collins, "rather than a fossilized version of the language."

Good luck with that. Here in Old Blighty, the birthplace of English, the dictionary's compilers face passionate resistance from language lovers who believe that any cull reduces the richness and variety that make language powerful — and leaves us all a bit dumber. "Newspapers are often accused of setting their reading level for 12-year-olds," one opponent wrote on an online message board. "Spare us dictionaries that do the same!"

Collins' editors know that old words die hard — and that some people will vilipend (regard with contempt) any execution without a fair trial. So they've offered the chance of a reprieve. They have made public 24 words that face deletion because editors could find no example of their use in their database of English-language books, newspapers, broadcasts and other media. If, by February 2009, a word reappears in that database with at least six "high quality" citations, it could be spared from the semantic dustbin. "We're looking to see if dropping a little stone in the pond of language actually does generate ripples," says Brookes.

A number of public figures in Britain have stepped forward to champion specific words, hoping to demonstrate they are compossible (possible in coexistence) with everyday speech. Andrew Motion, Britain's poet laureate since 1999, selected skirr, which refers to the rattling, scratchy noise that a bird's wings make during flight. "It's an appealing word with an onomatopoeic value and resonance," he says. Motion, an avid bird watcher, has already used the word on an evening radio program and hopes to include it in a poem if he can do so without "wrenching things around too much."

Stephen Pound, the Labour MP from Ealing North, will advocate caliginosity (dimness, darkness) on the floor of Parliament. "I shall be drawing the Prime Minister's attention in a fairly obscure and abstruse way to the word: 'Amid the global fiscal turmoil, we sought illumination but found only caliginosity.' " The exercise has already influenced Pound's speech: in the course of a 12-min. interview, he used the word 15 times.

Collins warns that it will discount any artificial use of the endangered words, meaning Motion's readers and Pound's constituents must actually take them up themselves. There's certainly interest in doing so. The Times of London asked readers to vote for the word they most felt should be spared from oblivion and attracted more than 11,000 votes in a week. The word embrangle (to confuse or entangle) won with 1,434 votes, while fubsy (short and stout) came in a distant second. Roborant (tending to fortify) and nitid (bright, glistening) failed to shine; they finished last, drawing roughly 550 votes between them.

Despite his deftness at manipulating language, Motion believes some words should be sacrificed for their clumsiness. "Nobody in their right mind, unless they are taking the anger, is going to say, 'I went on an agrestic retreat,' " he says, "because you've got the word rural to do it for you."

But reaction to the potential axing of words has revealed specialized meanings that seem to have escaped the dictionary's compilers. David Pybus, a perfumer in London, says agrestic's alternate meaning should qualify it for preservation: "It is used," he says, "in the perfume and flavor industry quite extensively to describe an aroma note or type which is 'of the countryside,' such as hay, heather, forest depths or meadow." Who knew? Elsewhere, fantasy-game devotees have rushed to the defense of periapt (a charm or amulet), which they know from the popular Dungeons & Dragons game, and geologists have pointed out the utility of griseous (streaked or mixed with gray) in describing rocks and minerals. Apparently, one man's linguistic recrement (waste, refuse) is another man's treasure.
Last edited by gailr on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:34 pm

Article then links to: 24 Words the CED Want to Exuviate (Shed)
Abstergent: Cleansing

Agrestic: Rural

Apodeictic: Unquestionably true by virtue of demonstration

Caducity: Perishableness

Caliginosity: Dimness

Compossible: Possible in coexistence with something else

Embrangle: To confuse

Exuviate: To shed

Fatidical: Prophetic

Fubsy: Squat

Griseous: Somewhat grey

Malison: A curse

Mansuetude: Gentleness

Muliebrity: The condition of being a woman

Niddering: Cowardly

Nitid: Bright

Olid: Foul-smelling

Oppugnant: Combative

Periapt: An amulet

Recrement: Refuse

Roborant: Tending to fortify

Skirr: A whirring sound, as of the wings of birds in flight

Vaticinate: Prophesy

Vilipend: To treat with contempt
I'd rather enjoy hearing apodeictic in one of the current US political debates!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
24 Words the CED Want to Exuviate a fine example of "British" English! Whether using the initials or spelling out the name, I would have written "Wants".

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:25 pm

I believe that the old words are compossible with the new.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:09 pm

Let's face it, if we get rid of malison, we have to dump benison, too, don't we?

Then we have vaticinate and fatidical, both relating to prophesy. Let's dump forecast too. That's just a wild guess anyway, isn't it? At least as far the weather is concerned it is.

However, I'd be much, much, much, much more concerned if this were the OED making such a suggestion. Single volumes do have to save space somehow.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:45 pm

Let's dump forecast too. That's just a wild guess anyway, isn't it? At least as far the weather is concerned it is.
I always call them weather guessers.

B.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:22 pm

I looooove this list! The usefulness of these words is nothing short of apodeictic.

The meteorological vaticination for Agrestícia:

Cold and caliginositously griseous with abstergent rain compossible with oppugnant skirring wind, possibly olid at times.

Gradually less malisonic in the afternoon with roborant nitidity; winds exuviating to niddering mansuetude.

For tonight: Dark.

(Spill czech is self-embranglating)

Hey, the CED can exuviate all the words they want but if we continue to roborantly employ them it doesn't mean fubsy. :twisted:

I recreme! I villipend a strongly worded letter...
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:44 pm

ah Slugger you crack me up!

B.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Return to “Res Diversae”