Match up the idioms with their meanings

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Match up the idioms with their meanings

Postby Bailey » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:30 pm

This was sent by an Australian, some are not quite on as USian expressions, This group used to like this sort of thing...

Match up the idioms with their meanings:

1. kiss the gunner's daughter
2. kiss of death
3. kiss and make up
4. kiss of life
5. kissing cousins
6. kiss ar*e
7. kiss something goodbye
8. kiss off
9. kiss and tell
10. kiss the blarney stone
a-help someone who has stopped breathing to breathe again by blowing into their mouth and pressing their chest
b-a sailor about to receive punishment (usually flogging) was lashed face-down on a cannon
c-dismiss or reject
d-you won't get this thing back
e-to try too hard to please someone and to agree with everything they say, in a way which other people find unpleasant
f-to become friendly again after arguing
g-an event or action that causes something to fail or be spoiled
h-give a lot of compliments; talk a lot
i-someone you are related to but not very closely
j-to talk on television, in a newspaper etc. about a private relationship with a famous person, especially in order to get a lot of money

And just by the by ... did you know that the custom of a man kissing his wife when he got home originated with the Romans? And no, not because they were the original hot Latin lovers; it was instead their way of checking if their wives had been drinking during the day!

B.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Match up the idioms with their meanings

Postby Slava » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:55 pm

And just by the by ... did you know that the custom of a man kissing his wife when he got home originated with the Romans? And no, not because they were the original hot Latin lovers; it was instead their way of checking if their wives had been drinking during the day!

B.
Are you sure it was the husband kissing the wife and not the other way around?

Good Russian joke:

Two old friends that recently got married are talking about their new lives, and wives.

One says, "I'm not sure I can stand it. My wife is so controlling she won't let me breathe."

The other answers, "Mine's just the opposite. No sooner do I get home, than she's snapping at me, 'Breathe!'"
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:39 pm

1 - b
2 - g
3 - f
4 - a
5 - i
6 - e
7 - d
8 - c
9 - j
10 - h
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:21 pm

I'm sure you are right, Perry, I didn't think anyone would bother to match them up, I liked all the kissing though.

B.

kb

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:59 pm

If Perry's right, then I had them all right, too.

I think the only one that might have given some people pause was the first one, kissing the gunner's daughter. How many of us out there grew up with Bolitho and Hornblower?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:48 am

At least the sailors weren't ejected from one of the gunner's daughter's orifices. :roll:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:41 pm

At least the sailors weren't ejected from one of the gunner's daughter's orifices.
Actually a son-of-a-gun was, often the women aboard gave birth, and that was done by the guns, creating many sons o' guns. Yes they did have women and boys aboard- they usually brought the powder to the gunners from the magazine; these items were kept very seperate-guess why?

B.

kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:46 am

You learn something new everyday. Although I meant that they weren't shot from cannons, which (if we are to believe old advertisements) would have made them "puffed babies".
Anonymous

Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Postby Cacasenno » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:32 am

At least the sailors weren't ejected from one of the gunner's daughter's orifices.
Actually a son-of-a-gun was, often the women aboard gave birth, and that was done by the guns, creating many sons o' guns. Yes they did have women and boys aboard- they usually brought the powder to the gunners from the magazine; these items were kept very seperate-guess why?

B.
I always thought one was supposed to powder babies, not gunners :wink:

Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Postby Cacasenno » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:31 am

Actually, all cannons on board were and are named after a woman: Gunnhildr or Gunilda 8)

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:57 pm

You learn something new everyday. Although I meant that they weren't shot from cannons, which (if we are to believe old advertisements) would have made them "puffed babies".
my mother worked at a puffed rice factory, thast is exactly how they puff them.

B.

kb

Return to “Res Diversae”