peal

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
eberntson
Lexiterian

peal

Postby eberntson » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:21 am

peal

• noun 1 a loud or prolonged ringing of a bell or bells. 2 a loud repeated or reverberating sound of thunder or laughter. 3 a set of bells.

• verb ring or resound in a peal.

— ORIGIN shortening of APPEAL.

But then again couldn't this be the origin of the phase from high-school, "Hey dude, it was so cool, I pealed my moms car out of the school parking lot and smoked the tires for 100 yards."

It is so interesting that simple phrases and words we use, for me such as "peal", that I never really knew the real meaning of.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Re: peal

Postby skinem » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:01 pm

But then again couldn't this be the origin of the phase from high-school, "Hey dude, it was so cool, I pealed my moms car out of the school parking lot and smoked the tires for 100 yards."
I had always thought that you peeled out in a car.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:11 pm

Mrs. Emma Peel, hearthrob of many pre-teen and teenage boys in the 1960s.

Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:45 pm

I concur with skinem's analysis. I always figured it was peel based on what's happening with the tire tread.

Of course I concur even more with gzer...
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:47 pm

Whatever she had back then, it still works now. She was my family's favorite, I do believe.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:35 am

I concur with peel, as in peel wheel. I saw someone doing that back in 1972 or '73 in Worcester, Mass, near our apartment. Whoever it was was just spinning his wheels and smoking up the neighborhood. I called the police because I figured the card had to be stolen; no one in their right mind would burn that much rubber on their own car! I'm sure his treads were down to threads before it was over. There are worse smells than burnt rubber, but not many.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: peal

Postby Stargzer » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:38 am

... But then again couldn't this be the origin of the phase from high-school, "Hey dude, it was so cool, I pealed my moms car out of the school parking lot and smoked the tires for 100 yards." ...
"Hey, dude, when your mom finds out, your butt's gonna be smokin' for a 100 days!"

I think of it as peeling the rubber off the tire, which is what's really happening. Some gets burnt in the heat of friction, but most gets ground off and left on the street.
Regards//Larry

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:19 pm

Count me among the then throbbing hearts. It was a wonderful program, BTW.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

eberntson
Lexiterian

Postby eberntson » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:15 am

You know I believe you are correct, but I appeal to you to be patient with me. Here is the sentence I found the word in;

"'An old devil! The old devil, perhaps. There! sir, you needn't laugh,' for Malcolmson had broken into a hearty
peal."
:twisted:

The quote is from Bram Stoker's story "The Judge's House" found in his collection of shorts called "Dracula's Guest".

But I think I could change my example to be more correct, such as:

"Hey dude, it was so cool, I pealed my moms car out of the school parking lot and peeled the tires for 100 yards." :wink:

Plus, "peal" is used a lot when referring to bells, such as "peal of bells", or "the full peal". I'm sure Quasimodo knew a good deal about peal'ng. The bells, the bells...

Mrs. Emma Peel was the best, a fine wine as sweet as eye candy.

~E
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”