Words Derived From Names

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:22 pm

in Brazilian Portuguese, chewing gum is commonly called chiclete (from Chiclets)
Are you sure about this one? I've heard that Chiclets are so called because they were made from chickle. Or is this a matter of what goes around comes around? One language stole it, and then the other stole it back?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:22 pm

...you people have made my dictionary obsolete...

Any way...Growing up around the house I always heard the words Kleenex and Scott toweling. But to my young ears I heard them as, "Go get a kleenex and blow your nose and after that, get a scott towel to clean up what the kleenex didn't get, then, cleanse everything down with some comet". Imagine my surprise when I realized they were actually name brands.
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:26 pm

in Brazilian Portuguese, chewing gum is commonly called chiclete (from Chiclets)
Are you sure about this one? I've heard that Chiclets are so called because they were made from chickle. Or is this a matter of what goes around comes around? One language stole it, and then the other stole it back?
I bet I know who could shed some light on this question. Shall I stir him up? No?
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Postby Cacasenno » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:44 am

A machiavellian man is not to be trusted completely, though we should wonder wether Machiavelli was a machivellian.
This is what we might classify as a machiavellian thought :wink: :lol:

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:07 am

I bet I know who could shed some light on this question. Shall I stir him up? No?
Is he still out there? It's been a long time. Over two years now.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:26 pm

I could have made those up :shock:

Actually both those terms were explained to me by native Brazilians upon inquiring about the lyrics of a popular song called Chiclete com Banana (it juxtaposes unlikely combinations along the lines of our "when Hell freezes over" or "when pigs fly"). So that's a word-of-mouth source. But is it commonly known that Chiclets are made from chickle? I've never even heard of chickle - the thought being if the brand name is more widely known than the ingredient, that would seem a more likely etymology.

Frigideira for frying pan seems slightly more obscure to me- maybe they put that marque on more than refrigerators in Brazil, I dunno.

I agree, this question should be put to BD. :idea:
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:22 pm

Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:06 am

A Chesterfield is a type of sofa (or couch- I'm told which term you use depends on which way your Mason-Dixon line is?).
It's named for the Earl of Chesterfield.

Y'know Huny- every time I read your sig line I wonder if you're threatening to leave us again :(
(/offtopic)
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:11 pm

Y'know Huny- every time I read your sig line I wonder if you're threatening to leave us again :(
(/offtopic)
Actually, no. It is in reference to my leaving my job of seven years ( this was about two weeks ago). The half-ling that was my acting manager was rude, crude, and sociably unacceptable. He called me an idiot one too many times, so I handed him my name badge and keys and went into the wind. Later that day, he called me and told me he was a little confused as to what my actions meant. :roll: Now, enter tag line. I kinda' got a chuckle out of my response so I made it my tag line. I have been meaning to change it, tho'.

Return to “Res Diversae”