Hanukkah!

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Hanukkah!

Postby Stargzer » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:07 pm

I often make red-nosed candy cane reindeer for my friends and co-workers. I make a special one for my Jewish friends and co-workers.

Happy Hanukkah!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Huny
Lexiterian

Re: Hanukkah!

Postby Huny » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:47 pm

I often make red-nosed candy cane reindeer for my friends and co-workers. I make a special one for my Jewish friends and co-workers.

Happy Hanukkah!
Hey! That looks like the back of the modern day coin from Israel I once held so near and dear!

Speaking of...well...whatever. I came across something very interesting today while surfing the net. As you all know, I (must) have spent a lot of my life with my head up in the clouds, so I'm sure everyone else has seen all this before.

In reference of B.C. and A.D. etc. I had not seen the use of C.E. (Common Era) and B.C.E. (Before Common Era) before. Nor did I know that A.D. was Anno Domini. Another new one to me is A.I. (Anno Imperium or Before(?)the Empire).
It seems to me like these new (to me) references are a way to get off the beaten path of the Gregorian calendar when needed. And are these references used more often when referring to the Jewish calendar or when the Jews are referencing something from a by-gone era? I read where scientist are using these references to kind of clear up or prevent some misunderstanding when trying to carbon date something.

Does anyone have some interesting tidbits they could add to this?
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:33 pm

CE and BCE have been around a while. I remember first seeing it when I read the Reader's Digest condensed version of James A. Michener's novel The Source.

That was a good 40 or so years ago. I seem to recall that in the book the CE referred to Christian Era, not Common Era. The change was made from AD since AD stood for Anno Domini, Latin for Year of The Lord, which obviously could be more than a bit insulting to non-Christians. Since The Source is told from the viewpoint of an Israeli archeologist, BCE and CE are used.

Wikipedia has an article on Calendar Eras.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:05 pm

I've always known C.E. to mean "common era" and B.C.E. as "Before (the) Common Era". Nothing to do with the Jewish dating system, these are equivalent timewise to A.D. and B.C. respectively.

It's widely used today to take an unconscious slant out of our writing, as a way to make the calendar we already use "common" to everybody without forcing a religion into a neutral topic, although Wiki says its use in English goes back three centuries:

"The English phrase "common Era" appears at least as early as 1715 in a book on astronomy, used synonymously with Christian Era and Vulgar Era. A 1759 history book uses common æra in a generic sense, to refer to the common era of the Jews."

One of the arguments noted against the use of CE/BCE is the view that it is used to "'deny the historical basis' of the dating system"; yet A.D. was apparently created for the same purpose:

"The year numbering system for the Common Era was devised by the monk Dionysius Exiguus in the year 525 to replace the Diocletian* years, because he did not wish to continue the memory of a tyrant who persecuted Christians."

*Diocletian (1764 years old this week), emperor of Rome 284-305 C.E.

More: Wiki on C.E.

Try to reconcile the dates of the A.D. calendar with the Diocletian and get back to me on what year it really is in any of them :shock:

Earth to humanity: "my watch stopped- what time you got?"
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:55 pm

Very interesting guys! I sure know that if anything out there gets my curiosity up, I can count on at least one of you to fill me in with some knowledgeable onfo in the subject! I hope other people out there know that there is a plethora of knowledge to be had here.

Oh, and slugo, I'll pass on the calendar reconciliation project. I'm not sure If I would even know where to begin... :shock: :lol:
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:15 pm

...Try to reconcile the dates of the A.D. calendar with the Diocletian and get back to me on what year it really is in any of them :shock:
Which A. D. calendar: Julian or Gregorian?

George Washington was really born on February 11, 1732. The year 1751 was also a short year. See Note 18
Earth to humanity: "my watch stopped- what time you got?"
When do you want that time? December 31, 2008, will be one second longer than a normal day. I wonder if they'll notice it in Times Square?
Regards//Larry

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:23 pm

When do you want that time? December 31, 2008, will be one second longer than a normal day. I wonder if they'll notice it in Times Square?
That's right. The atomic clock in Colorado will be powering up to jump ahead one whole second. For those of us who have been looking for that little extra time to get things done around the house...

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:37 am

Gzer's Wikilink sez:

By the middle of the Twentieth century it was apparent that the rotation of the Earth did not provide a sufficiently uniform time standard and in 1956 the second was redefined in terms of the annual orbital revolution of the Earth around the Sun. In 1967 the second was redefined, once again, in terms of a physical property

So it truly can be said of our forebears that "they lived in a different time".

It also tell us 2008 will be almost as long as a year can be; having had a February 29 already, it will be 24 hours plus 1 second longer that a standard year. That hasn't happened since 1992, although still stopping short of the never-ending 1972, which was even longer having had two leap seconds.

Wouldn't it be more interesting if we saved up all these leap seconds (with interest) to cash in once in a while with some calendar time off and a nice bash with music...

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:25 am

So, why do we call them "leap" years and seconds? They are actually pauses, adding time. Don't leaps usually go OVER something? You leap across a pond or a crack in the ice, etc.

If, as Huny suggests, the clock is going to jump ahead, wouldn't we lose the second, not gain it?

The same goes for February 29. It's a one-day pause, not a leap forward.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:32 pm

Astute point. It does mean the opposite of what it says :shock:

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:28 pm

If, as Huny suggests, the clock is going to jump ahead, wouldn't we lose the second, not gain it?

The same goes for February 29. It's a one-day pause, not a leap forward.
You're right, Slava. I guess it would be better put as "adding a second". Calling it "leaping" does sound like skipping over time and not adding to it. The years with only 28 days in February should be called the leap years. Weird...

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:38 pm

The years with only 28 days in February should be called the leap years. Weird...
Right again! Y'all are so schmart. OK, being as we are the Arbiters of the Englishish lingo, it's incumbent upon us to fix this. Suppose we start calling the quadrennial correction Deep Years?

We can take our time to decide, we have over three years. Unless we want to grab whoever we see just before midnight tonight and tell them to prepare for a "deep second". That might be iffy. :shock:

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:37 pm

The years with only 28 days in February should be called the leap years. Weird...
Right again! Y'all are so schmart. OK, being as we are the Arbiters of the Englishish lingo, it's incumbent upon us to fix this. Suppose we start calling the quadrennial correction Deep Years?

We can take our time to decide, we have over three years. Unless we want to grab whoever we see just before midnight tonight and tell them to prepare for a "deep second". That might be iffy. :shock:
Whoa, Nelly!!! :shock: :lol:

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:38 am

... Wouldn't it be more interesting if we saved up all these leap seconds (with interest) to cash in once in a while with some calendar time off and a nice bash with music...
Talk about doing the Time Warp! Did you see those Red, White, and Blue bell-bottomed costumes?
Regards//Larry

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:37 pm

Talk about doing the Time Warp! Did you see those Red, White, and Blue bell-bottomed costumes?
Well, the '70s were big on leap seconds, as well as disco and sideburns. I'm sure that's all tied together somehow, if we can just get the right conspiracy theorist on it...

But speaking of the Time Warp-
With a bit of a mind flip / And you're into a time slip

- there's another better term - a "slip-second"!
Do I have a second?

I wasn't paying attention last night- did it go off on time?

Return to “Res Diversae”