Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Unfortunate Names?

Postby Slava » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:48 pm

From the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7909561.stm

Now we know the Doctor's secret source!
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:17 pm

Pretty darn funny!
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:18 pm

Glad to be of service.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:02 pm

Perhaps we need a new list of suitable names, too:

"the firefighters union, led by John Sparks"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03352.html

in case you're interested in the whole article.

The names have to be real and documented, though. Not the usual Ben Dover or Pete Moss types.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:23 pm

My Scoutmaster, who was also my dentist, was Dr. Dent. Dent is the French word for tooth. His slightly younger but shorter brother was taunted by some of us scouts as "Big smash, little Dent!"
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:31 pm

While these aren't occupationally suitable, these are real names of people I've run across...

Forrest Wood III (the THIRD!!)

Guy N. Woods (writer and preacher)

Summer Dawn Love and Autumn Sunshine Love (sisters--parents old hippies--the sisters had a rough time in jr. high...)

Penny Tenpenny (married surname)

...and of course, you gotta wonder what some of the "celebrity" children have really thought about their names...

Moon Unit Zappa
Dweezel Zappa (of course, both seem to be fine)

Didn't Grace Slick name one of her kids God?

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:04 am

Dweezil's registered birth name was Ian Donald Calvin Euclid Zappa, although this occurred only because the hospital at which he was born refused to register him under the name Dweezil. The name was a nickname coined by Frank for an oddly-curled pinky-toe of Gail's. He was always called "Dweezil" by his family and was unaware that this was not the name on his birth certificate. Upon this discovery at the age of five, he insisted on having his nickname become his legal name. Gail and Frank hired an attorney and soon the name Dweezil was official.
She [Grace Slick] has one daughter, China Wing Kantner (born January 25, 1971). China's father is former Jefferson Airplane guitarist Paul Kantner, with whom Grace had a relationship from 1969 through 1975. During her stay in the hospital after the baby's birth, Grace sarcastically told one of the attending nurses (whom Grace found to be annoyingly sanctimonious), that she intended to name the child "god", with a small "g", as she 'wished for the child to be humble'. The nurse took Grace seriously, and her reports of the incident caused both a minor stir and the birth of a rock-and-roll urban legend.
Both quotes are from Wikipedia.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:17 am

Thanks, Perry.

Those are just special...

bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:42 am

A few years ago there was a big brouhaha in Japan because someone wanted to name their child "Akuma" (Devil) and the municipal office that maintains registers of who is related to whom (known as "family registers") refused to enter the name into the register. I believe the parents sued and lost.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:15 am

As for occupational-related names, a friend of mine went out to Shasta-Trinity National Forest years ago for a job interview and swears that the head Ranger was named Dale Trail and that the wildlife officer was F. Otter Fishbein.

Yeah, he's been known to stretch things a little ... but he's still a friend.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:49 pm

Stargzr, you just reminded me of an interview I had 25+ years ago with a SWAT team--the team's commander was Mike Hammer.
Mickey Spillane would have been proud...

Was Mr. Trail's middle name Mark?

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:43 pm

... Was Mr. Trail's middle name Mark?
No, I don't think he was in the newspaper end of the business!
Regards//Larry

Return to “Res Diversae”