Turf

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Modi
Junior Lexiterian

Turf

Postby Modi » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:32 pm

-noun: range of jurisdiction or influence
-noun: the territory claimed by a juvenile gang as its own
-noun: surface layer of ground containing a matt of grass and grass roots
-noun: cover (the ground) with a surface layer of grass or grass roots
From onelook.com
O.E. turf, tyrf "slab of soil and grass," also "surface of grassland," from P.Gmc. *turb- (cf. O.N. torf, Dan. tørv, O.Fris. turf, O.H.G. zurba, Ger. Torf), from PIE base *drbh- (cf. Skt. darbhah "tuft of grass"). Fr. tourbe "turf" is a Gmc. loan-word. The O.E. plural was identical with the singluar, but in M.E. turves sometimes was used. Slang meaning "territory claimed by a gang" is attested from 1953 in Brooklyn, N.Y.; earlier it had a jive talk sense of "the street, the sidewalk" (1930s), which is attested in hobo use from 1899, and before that "the work and venue of a prostitute" (1860). The verb is attested from c.1430, originally "to cover (ground) with turf." Turf war is recorded from 1950s.
From Etymonline.com

Such a good word for describing especially in the range of the first meaning mentioned.
"I have never seen you in my turf before" (consider his turf forums where he started a topic) someone I talked to used it in this sense.
"Do you want to know hell, it's depths; hell is the company of the ignorant." My translation for a verse by Omar Al-Khayyam.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:13 pm

Odd that, though the citations are modern, they ignore the other verbal meaning, to turf (someone), in the sense of claiming one's turf and pushing others out. "We got turfed." "They turfed us."
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”