brackish

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Flaminius
Lexiterian

brackish

Postby Flaminius » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:42 am

Brackish water refers to something between fresh water and seawater. According to Merriam-Webster Online, it comes from a Dutch word meaning salty. Does English have any relative words to it?

The second meaning of brackish is having bad taste, according to the same source. I don't quite get why being salty has come to be associated with bad taste of food but have a first-hand experience. I once added salt into tea from what I believed to be a sugar pot. I will never forget how brackish that brackish black tea was that I helped myself to.

BTW, as the average salinity of seawater is 3.5%, I am just wondering if any salt concentration from just below 3.5% to almost 0% fits in the definition of brackish water.

Flam

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Brackish

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:43 pm

Brak means 'salty' in Dutch, so brakish would be 'saltyish'. It is a rather stranded word with few relatives in Dutch. German has Brackwasser but no Brack that I can find.

I think I'll pass on this one but 'etiolate' is an old favorite of mine that I've scheduled for March.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Spiff
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Brackish

Postby Spiff » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:21 am

Brak means 'salty' in Dutch, so brakish would be 'saltyish'. It is a rather stranded word with few relatives in Dutch.
And it's only ever used in connection with water.
Spaceman Spiff

"The capacity for humankind to centralize its importance in the grand scheme of things is quite impressive."
- Tim Ward

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:51 am

It's nice to see the Spaceman has made the transition.

Katy

Spiff
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Spiff » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:28 pm

This place seems like a very familiar galaxy. :)
Spaceman Spiff

"The capacity for humankind to centralize its importance in the grand scheme of things is quite impressive."
- Tim Ward

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”