Super Degreaser?

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Super Degreaser?

Postby Slava » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:30 pm

This, with an exclamation point instead of a question mark, is part of the trade mark of my dish liquid. It also has a Spanish "translation," "Arranca la grasa!" (Sorry, I don't know how to put in an upside-down exclamation point.)

I decided to run this through a translation doohickey on the Internet. It's humorous:

As I have it above: "Starts the fat!"
Without !: Fat start
! at beginning and end: !Boots fat!

If there are any Spanish speakers out there, what do you think? Is this a legitimate translation of "Super Degreaser"?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:04 pm

I use Systranet.com. It translates:
¡Arranca la grasa!
as:
It takes the fat!
As for the upside-down exclamation point, on a WinDoze machine you can either copy it from charmap.exe (WindowsKey-R and type charmap in the run box and hit Enter) or type Alt+161 by holding down the Alt key and typing 161 on the Numeric Keypad (not on the numbers at the top of the keyboard; make sure the NumLock key is on). On a laptop you'll have to turn on the NumLock key, hold down Alt and whatever function key activates the numeric keypad keys on the keyboard (usually printed in blue), and type the number on that numeric keypad.

I know there's a reference somewhere, but you can also get the key codes from charmap.exe; it shows up in the bottom of the box on the right. Alt+0233 if the "e-acute" ( é ), Alt+0234 is "e-circonflex" ( ê ), Alt+0232 is "e-grave" ( è ), Alt+231 is "c-cedilla" ( ç ).

Finding the rest is left as an exercise to the student.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:33 pm

Super Degreaser! Cute
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

saparris
Wordmaster

Postby saparris » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:26 pm

¡Arranca la grasa!
Arrancar in Spanish means to start, but it also can mean to pull off. Grasa, can mean fat or grease.

So ¡Arranca la grasa! is probably not a name but a sentence meaning "it removes grease."
Ars longa, vita brevis

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:33 pm

I see you can turn punctuation upside down.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

saparris
Wordmaster

Postby saparris » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:17 pm

Yes, but I do it in Word and then paste it into my posts.

Like this: ¡¿©®÷ã
Ars longa, vita brevis

Return to “Languages of the World”