dipsomania/diplomacy

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
KatyBr
Wordmaster

dipsomania/diplomacy

Postby KatyBr » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:27 pm

Just to show the silly things my mind is doing lately tho' I am neither a drinker nor a diplomat.
DIPSOMANIA (from Gr. &~a, thirst, and saP(a, madness), a term formerly applied to the attacks of delirium (q.v.) caused by alcoholic poisoning. It is now sometimes loosely used as equivalent to the condition of incurable inebriates, but strictly should be confined to the pathological and insatiable desire for alcohol, sometimes occurring in paroxysms.
I looked this up to see if there was any connectoipn to diplomacy, lol
DIPLOMACY (Fr. diplomatie), the art of conducting inter-~ ational negotiations. The word, borrowed from the French, has he same derivation as Diplomatic (q.v.), and, according to the Tew English Dictionary, was first used in England so late as 5796 y Burke. Yet there is no other word in the English language hat could supply its exact sense. The need for such a term ras indeed not felt; for what we know as diplomacy was long egarded, partly as falling under the Jus gentium or international tw, partly as a kind of activity morally somewhat suspect and acapable of being brought under any system. Moreover, though a a certain sense it is as old as history, diplomacy as a uniform ystem, based upon generally recognized rules and directed by diplomatic hierarchy having a fixed international status, is of uite modern growth even in Europe. It was finally established nly at the congresses of Vienna (1815) and Aix-la- Chapelle (1818), rhile its effective extension to the great monarchies of the East, eyond the bounds of European civilization, was comparatively Ii affair of yesterday. So late as 1876 it was possible for the writer on this subject in the oth edition of the Encyclopaedia to say that it would be an historical absurdity to suppose diplomatic relations connecting together China, Burma and Japan, as they connect the great European powers.

Principles.Though diplomacy has been usually treated under the head of international law, it would perhaps be more consonant with the facts to place international law under diplomacy. The principles and rules governing the intercourse of states, defined by a long succession of international lawyers, have no sanction save the consensus of the powers, established and maintained by diplomacy (see BALANCE OP POWER); in so far as they have become, by international agreement, more than mere pious opinions of theorists, they are working rules established for mutual convenience, which it is the function of diplomacy to safeguard or to use for its own ends. In any case they by no means cover the whole field of diplomatic activity; and, were they swept away, the art of diplomacy, developed through long ages of experience, would survive.(sic)
All definitions from http://38.1911encyclopedia.org/D/DI/DIPLOMACY.htm

Katy

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:51 pm

Looks like a good find, but I was distracted by the numerous typos. I mean alot of typos!
It was finally established nly at the congresses of Vienna (1815) and Aix-la- Chapelle (1818), rhile its effective extension to the great monarchies of the East, eyond the bounds of European civilization, was comparatively Ii affair of yesterday.
nly=only
rhile=while
(rhile seems very out of place in diplomacy)
eyond=beyond

"comparatively Ii affair"

What does "Ii" mean?

It is opaque to me!

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:55 pm

Apo, you did see the (sic) I inserted I hope, I wanted to fix it, but then I'd have to go over it so carefully and put parenthesies in all over. I was hoping it would make sense anyway, but I guess not.

perhaps the author was a dipsomaniac, AHA! the connection! *sounds of cackling and sight of rubbing dry hands together*

Actually this person types much like I do. I often don't hit the keys hard enough to get the first letter of words registered, and my fingers are dyslexic. i.e. "we're" usually comes out (ewre')

Katy

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:15 pm

Most of it I was able to decipher, just the "Ii" has me stumped.

Funny about the [sic], I thought the original author had put that in, and I was double confused, wondering if there weren't some connotations I was missing!

Oh, well!

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:30 pm

would il have made more sense? you can see why I didn't edit it.

Katy

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:30 pm

This is another example of OCR'ed text (from the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica, I believe).

So they aren't typos really... they're closer to reados.

-Tim

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:15 am

OCR is a great tool to avoid retyping long texts, but it is plagued with problems when reading serif text and next to useless for ornamental fonts. Using OCR to archive text requires an editor or proofreader to correct the incorrect guesses, which requires more work than just hitting "scan".

On the other hand, it does generate some interesting terms, such as "uniform ystem". And I kind of liked "rhile" used in a diplomatic sense...

gailr

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:29 am

I love my scanner, it makes so few mistakes. It's the easiest combo printer, copier, fax, scanner I've ever had.

but once in a while there can be an embarassing glitch resulting in a rhile or some such.

Katy

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”