«Freedom Fries, Redux»

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:39 pm

-Tim
...you can replace French with Uhmerican anywhere in this thread, and it's just as "true" and just as funny.
Now That's diplomacy

Katy

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:28 pm

Perhaps some Agorist with better political connexions than those I enjoy should suggest to Mr Bush that our Tim would make an ideal US ambassador to the United Nations, therewith bringing, in the most irenic way possible, to an end the present controversy concerning the irascible Mr Bolton. No «nuclear options» required....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:04 pm

You have been granted the Cone of Safety, to respond as freely as you wish.
I hope that doesn't look like a dunce hat.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:10 pm

ummmmm, it IS a Dunce cap.

Katy
how clever of you to have figured that out! :lol:

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:29 pm

Good critic, Tim! LOL!

Spiff:
Preferably looking like monuments of course, so as to avoid any confusion.
Brilliant!

Katy:
ummmmm, it IS a Dunce cap.
Excellent!

And remember that some where deep inside of my heart there is some place that really loves the French!

I'll keep looking for it!

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

William
Junior Lexiterian

Postby William » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:55 pm

World War II was another story altogether. French troops in North Africa inflicted major causualties on British and American troops before deciding "Oops! Perhaps we should switch sides!" Some French generals refused to serve alongside former Vichy generals. Can't say as I blame them. (See America's Forgotten Army, The True Story of the U.S. Seventh Army in WWII - And an Unknown Battle That Changed History by Charles Whiting)
Thanks stargazer, for posting these sources. I will surely check them out.

In WWI in the Chateau-Thierry area and in Belleau Wood, the German Army had launched an offensive with the objective of capturing Paris and thus, they hoped, ending the war in their favor. The French Army was preparing to retreat. But the United States Marine Corps arrived and attacked the German Army driving them back, breaking their offensive. This battle earned the Marines the nickname "Teufelhunde", or Devil Dogs" from the German Army.

During WWII, General Patton, who spoke French, addressed a group of French and acknowledged the French assistance during the American Revolution, mentioning specifically the Marquis de Lafayette. When DeGaulle addressed his people after the liberation of Paris he gave no credit to the American and British forces for that liberation, making it appear that French forces alone drove the Nazis out of Paris.

I have never been to France and I only know one person born there. She is a very nice person and I have seen no arrogance in her. But then, she has lived in the United States for at least 10 years. I have had several friends and acquaintances who have been to France and they are almost unanimous in their opinion that the French are some of the most unfriendly people in the world.

This is also the opinion of friends who have experience with the Quebecois, who apparently believe that Quebec is a province of France, not Canada.

William[/quote]

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:38 pm

When DeGaulle addressed his people after the liberation of Paris he gave no credit to the American and British forces for that liberation, making it appear that French forces alone drove the Nazis out of Paris.
Gee I had always been told the French GAVE UP before the Nazi's could bomb Paris to save their (urine soaked?) monuments, then started narking on their countrymen who tried to keep up the 'Resistance', and insisted on serving the Germans hand and foot.

Katy

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:56 pm

. . .I have never been to France and I only know one person born there. She is a very nice person and I have seen no arrogance in her. But then, she has lived in the United States for at least 10 years. I have had several friends and acquaintances who have been to France and they are almost unanimous in their opinion that the French are some of the most unfriendly people in the world.

This is also the opinion of friends who have experience with the Quebecois, who apparently believe that Quebec is a province of France, not Canada.

William
I knew an exchange student from Marseilles when I was in high school who was very friendly. She even helped me with my French homework one night, but then, she spoke colloquial Marseilles French, not Parisian. Père Eric did not agree with her assertion that one could use du as a contraction for de la as well as de le. But that's another story.

I used to correspond with a woman from Montreal, a native francophone who preferred English. Most Québecois think La Belle Province is an independent country, not a part of France (and certainly not a part of Canada!).
:wink:
Actually, the French still have a presence in North America.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:45 am

Cool, Larry! I didn't realize they were still here.

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

Return to “Res Diversae”