Yiddish Anyone?

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Yiddish Anyone?

Postby Slava » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:01 am

I have an old postcard, from the early 20th century, in hand-written Yiddish. I was wondering if anyone out there in the Agora world can read this language, and if so, would they be willing to take a look and tell me more or less what the thing says. I figure it's just a basic postcard, but I'm still curious. Can you or anyone you know help me out here?

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:42 pm

Check a library for Leo Rosten's Joys of Yiddish and the updated The New Joys of Yiddish. The list price of the updated version was $35.00, but I picked up a copy at a local place called Ollie's that sells overstock of books, tools, and Lord knows what else, for $9.99 Even if it doesn't help with the postcard it's still a good read. It's filled with stories or parables that help explain the word.

Part of a typical entry:
grob
graub
grober
grauber
grobyon
graubyon

Pronounced GRUB or GRAWB, to rhyme with "daub," and GRAW-ber. From the german: grob, "course, uncouth, rough."

1. Coarse, crude, uncouth, vulgar; ill-mannered.
2. Ignorant; insensitive.

A rabbi came to the notoriously brutal governor of a province in Poland and pleaded for help for the many who were starving.

The gober governor struck the rabbi across the face. "Jew, take that!"

The rabbi nodded. "That, sir, is for me. Now what will you give to my people?"

Also, the classic definition of Chutzpah is found in this book:
Chutzpah is that quality enshrined in a man who, having killed his mother and father, throws himself on the mercy of the court because he is an orphan.
A great book if you don't know your Schlemiel from your Schlimazel. Just don't be a Gonif or a Momzer!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:07 pm

Thanks for the idea, Larry, but it won't help me here. This is what it looks like:

http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo ... ertainment

Not quite your basic English letters.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:32 pm

Oy vey!

Yiddian? Russish?

I'm not even sure which end is up! The right side? Is it a Russian, or even a Georgian allphabet?

If the Czar packed his kids side-by-side in a flat tin can would they be Czardines?
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:47 pm

I've been told it's Hebrew script, though the language is Yiddish.

A bit of a mess, eh?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Paul Ogden
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Paul Ogden » Wed May 19, 2010 8:49 pm

The postcard is definitely written in Yiddish.

I downloaded a relatively high-res copy from the webshots website. As my ability to read Yiddish is, uh, less than optimal, I'll consult with a friend whose mother tongue is Yiddish. I'll post the results in a week or so.

Paul

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed May 19, 2010 9:01 pm

The postcard is definitely written in Yiddish.

I downloaded a relatively high-res copy from the webshots website. As my ability to read Yiddish is, uh, less than optimal, I'll consult with a friend whose mother tongue is Yiddish. I'll post the results in a week or so.

Paul
Thanks, Paul! I look forward to the results, whatever they may be. I don't expect history-altering news from it, but I do hope to find out what it says, at least in part.

Thanks to your friend, too.

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Thu May 20, 2010 8:53 am

You might send Perry a private message to see if he can read it on the off chance he hasn't seen this post.

bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Thu May 20, 2010 10:35 pm

Deleted
Last edited by bnjtokyo on Sun May 23, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sat May 22, 2010 9:28 pm

I gave it a try, but in vain. The letters are Hebrew characters, but I am no Yiddish expert. And the handwriting is tiny and crowded. Sorry!
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat May 22, 2010 9:53 pm

I gave it a try, but in vain. The letters are Hebrew characters, but I am no Yiddish expert. And the handwriting is tiny and crowded. Sorry!
Thanks for the attempt. Maybe one of these days I'll find a Hebrew-reading Yiddish expert who can make some sense of the thing. I'll need to find a new place to try, though. The Agora is one of only three I belong to that stood a chance, and I've struck out on all three. Good thing this isn't baseball, eh?

Paul Ogden
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Paul Ogden » Mon May 24, 2010 5:10 pm

I've made a stab at the postcard:

The handwritten text appears to be from a brother and sister to other family members, including a mother-in-law, sister-in-law, niece and perhaps others. The writer(s) seem to feel that the other members of the family are angry with them as they are not responding to earlier letters. There also seems to be a reference to someone burdened with troubles, and a wish extended for good health.

I haven't yet consulted with a real Yiddish expert.

If you want a professional translation, I can suggest
Dr. Khane-Feygle (Anita) Turtletaub
8914 N. Central Pk.
Evanston, IL 60203-1815
847-675-3335

http://www.wcas.northwestern.edu/jewish ... letaub.htm

http://www.german.northwestern.edu/peop ... etaub.html

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon May 24, 2010 5:54 pm

Thanks for the information, Paul. I figured it was probably a family-type card, but never thought of how much there might be there. It would be a rare find to come up with more details from some historical treasure trove.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue May 25, 2010 4:15 pm

If you want a professional translation, I can suggest
Dr. Khane-Feygle (Anita) Turtletaub
Is she a person, a bird (feygle), or a deaf turtle? For that matter do turtles have good hearing? Funny how my mind works (see ditto).
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Paul Ogden
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Paul Ogden » Tue May 25, 2010 7:04 pm

Is she a person, a bird (feygle), or a deaf turtle? For that matter do turtles have good hearing?
Where's the deaf bit come from? Taub is German (and Yiddish) for dove.

Return to “Languages of the World”