books I will buy someday

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

books I will buy someday

Postby Bailey » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:54 pm

There are some books, a long queue right now that I'm planning to buy, here's one
The Meaning of Tingo: And Other Extraordinary Words from Around the World
excerpt:
"What began as a fortuitous discovery, when BBC researcher Adam Jacot de Boinod noticed that an Albanian dictionary contained 27 different words each for eyebrows and mustache, has become, after his obsessive 18-month journey through hundreds of foreign dictionaries, a very funny and genuinely informative guide to the world's strangest--and most useful--words.

"There are many books out there that invent, Sniglets-style, the words that the English language doesn't have but needs. What The Meaning of Tingo shows is that, like natural cures waiting to be found in the plants of the rainforest, many of the words already exist, in the languages of the world's other cultures.

"Who couldn't find a use for "neko-neko," an Indonesian word for "one who has a creative idea which only makes things worse," or "skeinkjari," a term from the Faroe Islands for "the man who goes among wedding guests offering them alcohol"?

"Some words that Jacot de Boinod has found are bizarre - death from overwork, which is karoshi in Japanese - while others are surprisingly affecting, like the Inuit word "iktsuarpok," which means "to go outside often to see if someone is coming."

"And then there's "tingo" itself, from the Pascuense language of Easter Island: "to take all the objects one desires from the house of a friend, one at a time, by borrowing them." (Amazon)
Don't tell me you haven't got a 'friend' like that or had at one time or other.

mark no-karoshi-here Bailey
I like neko-neko too, will have lots of uses for it.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:19 pm

I actually have this book. A fun bunch of words that you'll never be able to use. My biggest quibble, and one I have with nearly all such books, is the lack of a pronunciation guide. Where does the stress go? What's the value of such-and-such a letter in such-and-such a place? And so on.

I do recommend it, however. I bought two, one for me, one for my brother.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Res Diversae”