PETRICHOR

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
tcward
Wordmaster

PETRICHOR

Postby tcward » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:49 am

Pronunciation: pe-trê-ko® • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: That distinctively pleasant fragrance of rain falling on dry ground. It is produced by oily, yellow-gold globules, rather like perfume, that either come from certain plants or the air itself.

Notes: This amazingly beautiful word was introduced by two Australian geologists, I. J. Bear and R. G. Thomas, in a 1964 article that appeared in Nature (993/2), referring to a rather specific aroma. However, we have all experienced the pleasure of the smell of rain against dry earth; now, we have a word to explain that pleasure. It is too young to have progeny yet, but when it reaches appropriate seniority, I predict it will produce an adjective, petrichoric.

In Play: This word certainly belongs in the vocabulary of all terroirists, "I'm certain that the bouquet of this chardonnay comes from the petrichor of the soil where the vines grew." But once we are comfortable with it, we can unleash our metaphoric creativity, "Her entrance into his life was a refreshing petrichor ending a long season of dry relationships."

Word History: It is amazing how such a beautiful word can arise from such a distasteful combination as today's extremely Good Word. It comprises the root of Greek petros "stone" + ichor, the mythical rarified fluid that flowed in the veins of the gods. (Ichor now refers to any watery discharge from a wound or inflammation.) Petros is also the Greek form of the name "Peter," which is why Jesus claimed him to be the rock on which His church would be built. So the name of the film character, Rocky, is simply a translation of the Greek Peter.

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:30 am

I cannot imagine the "fragrance of rain falling on dry ground" but have particular liking for the smell of asphalt or veton after getting a few drops of rain. This is what I consider the real petrichor.

Nice word Dr!

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:44 am

asphalt or veton
Flam, are you Spanish?

Vrazilian dude

P.S. I wonder what that word would be like in Portuguese and Spanish: petricor? In Italian petricore? petricoro? In French petrichor, just like English?
Languages rule!

Return to “Good Word Discussion”