«Reasons for liking Tolkien»

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

«Reasons for liking Tolkien»

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:15 pm

I stumbled upon this article by Jenny Turner, which was published four years ago in the London Review of Books, in the course of reading an article of her's on Alisa Rosenbaum (not really my favourite author, either, as many of you will no doubt realise) in the current issue of the journal....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:09 pm

Amazingly, nearly 5 years later and the links work. Tolkien was great.

I don't think I agree with Turner's saying the Silmarillion was unreadable, though. It's tough to get started with, but if you can let go and realize you're reading a bible, then it works quite well, imho.

My spell-check wants to capitalize imho, but I disagree. If it's supposed to be humble, shouldn't it be small?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:02 am

The first part of The Silmarillion is worse than trying to read Genesis.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:36 am

The first part of The Silmarillion is worse than trying to read Genesis.
Aye, it's tough to get through, However, if you can do it, you will find that the whole reads as if it were a Bible of sorts. I ended up liking it, though I did have to work at it.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Res Diversae”