posit

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

posit

Postby Bailey » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:46 pm

pos·it (pzt)
tr.v. pos·it·ed, pos·it·ing, pos·its
1. To assume the existence of; postulate. See Synonyms at presume.
2. To put forward, as for consideration or study; suggest: "If a book is hard going, it ought to be good. If it posits a complex moral situation, it ought to be even better" Anthony Burgess.
3. To place firmly in position.

[From Latin positus, past participle of pnere, to place; see position.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
mark one-more-small-word-deposited Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:16 pm

Now that it's three years old, I posit that it is time to comment on this word. Am I positive? Yes, as I just did so.

Yee Ha!
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:58 pm

And I posit that you are turning into the king of commenting on older posts. :wink:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:48 pm

And I posit that you are turning into the king of commenting on older posts. :wink:
Aye, I'll accept the crown. The reign will soon end, though. There aren't all that many left for me to latch on to. A large number of the unanswered posts remaining are mine, so I obviously can't do anything with those. After that, or perhaps much earlier, I'll go away.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Posit

Postby Audiendus » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:16 pm

"Posit" can also be a noun, meaning something that is posited.

I call myself "Positor" on a philosophy forum.
There aren't all that many left for me to latch on to. A large number of the unanswered posts remaining are mine, so I obviously can't do anything with those.
There are over 250 unanswered posts that are not yours, so I think you'll be busy for a while yet.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”