hieratic

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Klimt
Lexiterian

hieratic

Postby Klimt » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:57 pm

[hahy-uh-rat-ik, hahy-rat-]

1.Also, hi·er·at·i·cal. of or pertaining to priests or the priesthood; sacerdotal; priestly.

2.noting or pertaining to a form of ancient Egyptian writing consisting of abridged forms of hieroglyphics, used by the priests in their records.

3.noting or pertaining to certain styles in art in which the representations or methods are fixed by or as if by religious tradition.

4. highly restrained or severe in emotional import: Some of the more hieratic sculptures leave the viewer curiously unmoved.

Apparently Rose had muddled them all up; and it was a long time before the figure was finished and sent to the Pavilion in a long basket to take on itself the robes and the hieratic pose of the Empress.

She took the leg of mutton and held it high above her, as though it were the head of John the Baptist on a platter; and, the cigarette still in her mouth, advanced with solemn, hieratic steps.

Driving through the streets in her big landau she exhibited to the indifference of the natives and the stares of the tourists a long-waisted, youthful figure of hieratic stiffness, with a pair of big gleaming eyes, rolling restlessly behind a short veil of black lace, which, coming down no further than her vividly red lips, resembled a mask.

During the contact of that unexpected and lingering kiss Mr Verloc, gripping with both hands the edges of his chair, preserved a hieratic immobility.
Whoever wants to know something about me - as an artist which alone is significant - they should look attentively at my pictures and there seek to recognise what I am and what I want.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:11 pm

I've only ever seen it used with regards to the
Egyptian priestood. But because of hierarchy in other
religions, it is easily understood.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”