ennead

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

ennead

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:14 pm

Novena in many religions.

Since ancient times, various groups of people have considered nine to be a very special and sacred number. Legends and literature have long characterized groups of nine as having a special, in some cases magical, significance. Ancient Egyptians organized their gods into groups of nine; even today, their principal group of gods (headed by sun god Re-Atum) is called the "Great Ennead of Heliopolis." The "Ennead" English speakers use in that name traces to "ennea," the Greek word for "nine." "Ennead" is also used generally to refer to other groups of ancient gods. Furthermore, it is the name given to six sets of nine treatises by Greek philosopher Plotinus that were collected and organized by his 3rd-century disciple, Porphyry.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:10 pm

Pronounced "any add." An interesting word and concept. Why are there so many groups of nine out there? Is it because they are 3 groups of 3? Why 3, anyway? I know about the Holy Trinity, but threes have been around much longer. I guess I need to find a numerology site to dabble with this one.

Weren't there nine human kings enslaved by Sauron in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:01 pm

Yes, nine human kings: they became the Ringwraiths.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:10 pm

Yes, nine human kings: they became the Ringwraiths.
Thanks for the confirmation. I was tempted to say there were seven, but that didn't feel quite right.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”