illuminati

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
uncronopio
Lexiterian

illuminati

Postby uncronopio » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:03 pm

1. People who have or profess to have special intellectual or spiritual enlightenment.
2. Any of various societies, groups, sects, etc. usually secret, composed of such people.

Etymology: Italian from Latin, plural of illuminatus enlightened.

From Webster's, paper edition.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." -- Mark Twain

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:29 am

I have only seen this used in the capitalized form, "Illuminati,"
the supposed super-secret cabal behind all secret societies and the hereditarily rich that controls (or tries to control) world events.

Illuminati Conspiracy, Order of the Illumined Wise Men

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:48 am

I've seen this in The Da Vinci Code.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

uncronopio
Lexiterian

Postby uncronopio » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:02 pm

Apoclima, that is a very interesting site! I like the display of creativity in any good conspiracy theory. Anyway, I was thinking of illuminati when I was writing this post about Che Guevara and marketing of university education.

I have not read the Da Vinci Code. In fact I am avoiding the book in the same way I avoided Titanic the movie.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." -- Mark Twain

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:58 pm

Just a small exercise of imagination but can anyone come up with a revolutionary to whom the accusations of Uncronopio do not apply?

By the way "Revolutionalise Your Life" does not make a very beautiful copy in Chinese. When someone tells you that he wants to "革你的命," you'd better stop whatever you are doing, apologise to him and run.

Flam

uncronopio
Lexiterian

Postby uncronopio » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:11 am

From my point of view, the problem is that the university chose an example of political revolution with a -- to say the least -- highly controversial figure, while it should have gone for examples of scientific or artistic revolution. An example of the latter was apple's 'think different' campaign that depicted mostly people with a positive effect on society.

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:22 am

I never saw the commercial film but see what you mean. I think universities are for those who respect professors more than generals.

A nice surprise to see the author of my tagline in the IBM list.

Flam

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”