aggrandize

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Klimt
Lexiterian

aggrandize

Postby Klimt » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:42 pm

aggrandize
[uh-gran-dahyz, ag-ruhn-dahyz]

1. to widen in scope; increase in size or intensity; enlarge; extend.

2. to make great or greater in power, wealth, rank, or honor.

3. to make (something) appear greater.

It is too true, however disgraceful it may be to human nature, that nations in general will make war whenever they have a prospect of getting anything by it; nay, absolute monarchs will often make war when their nations are to get nothing by it, but for the purposes and objects merely personal, such as thirst for military glory, revenge for personal affronts, ambition, or private compacts to aggrandize or support their particular families or partisans.

aggrandize one argument while belittling another.

Aborigines, unlike hunter-gathers in some other parts of the world...did not aggrandize food or other key resources in anticipation of future shortages.

There arose a great wave of patriotism for this Prussia which had disdained to aggrandize itself with the help of a foreign dictator.
Whoever wants to know something about me - as an artist which alone is significant - they should look attentively at my pictures and there seek to recognise what I am and what I want.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:47 pm

Excellent word, though one I've always felt carried a hint of being pejorative. Especially given the phrase self-aggrandizement.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”