Voluptuary

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Voluptuary

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:19 pm

saw this word in the newspaper in a commentary about
Congress, and the lives they lead: voluptuary, regarding
permanent pensions even after only one term, not being
subject to the measures they subject the rest of the
nation to, like health care, etc.
I believe it refers to sensualist devotions, but was used
in the sense above. Living a life of luxury.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:19 pm

Excellent find! I wonder how it differs from hedonist.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:32 pm

Considering Congress, not much.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:28 pm

The difference between a Hedonist and a Voluptuary is the difference between one whose ethical philosophy holds that pleasure is the highest good (a Hedonist) and one who revels in sensual pleasures without any pretension to philosophy. (a Voluptuary)

I think someone like Hugh Hefner might be considered a hedonist, while actor Charlie Sheen might be termed a voluptuary, among other things.

In 1974 Wilbur D. Mills, (D-Ark), age 65 and Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, was involved in a drunken and publicly embarrassing episode with a stripper at the Silver Slipper, leading one wag to say: "She was only a stripper at the Silver Slipper, but she had her Ways and Means." Now that's a voluptuary!

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:38 pm

HA! funny. Thanks, that settles it!

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:47 pm

The difference between a Hedonist and a Voluptuary is the difference between one whose ethical philosophy holds that pleasure is the highest good (a Hedonist) and one who revels in sensual pleasures without any pretension to philosophy. (a Voluptuary)
There is also a sybarite - another lover of pleasure. More of a voluptuary than a hedonist, I'd say.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:17 pm

Ah the ancient city of luxury. Actually I don't know too much
about it.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:19 pm

sardith
Lexiterian

voluptuary

Postby sardith » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:00 pm

I know that I am a few months late into your conversation, but I just read something in the biography of an interesting character in history, Count Nikita Ivanovich Panin, who was a Russian statesman and a mentor to Catherine the Great.

Anyway, I get down to the part where it says this:

Panin was one of the most learned, accomplished and courteous Russians of his day. By nature a sybarite, he took care to have the best cook in the capital, and women had for him an irresistible attraction, though he never married.

This compels me to ask two questions:

Why have I, (formerly one of the Chefs in a luxurious restaurant full of sybarites), never even heard of this word?

And, from the construction of that sentence, are they implying that all the sybaritic gents get all the ladies, whether they want them or not?

Can Dr. Goodword do a column on 'sybarite', please?

Thanks for listening,
Sardith :)

sardith
Lexiterian

voluptuary

Postby sardith » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:17 pm

Ooops, forgot to tell you, the info on Panin was from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikita_Ivanovich_Panin

Sorry,
Sardith :oops:

p.s. Also, I don't understand how you all put what the previous poster has just said into a box for reference, into your current posting. Did that make sense? Can someone help me with that? :?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: voluptuary

Postby Slava » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:10 pm

p.s. Also, I don't understand how you all put what the previous poster has just said into a box for reference, into your current posting. Did that make sense? Can someone help me with that? :?
You mean like this?

Just click on the quote button in the top right of the message you want to quote. You can delete the stuff you don't want, too. You shouldn't add things, though. That wouldn't be kosher.

When deleting, just leave the beginning [ quote ] and the closing [ /quote ]. Without the extra spaces.

If you want to quote something else, just click on the Quote button in the Post a reply box before what you want to quote. Type or copy your information and then click it again.

Hope this is what you wanted.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

intellectual property

Postby MTC » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:04 am

I have just now (2 months later) followed Luke Javan's link to the article on the ancient city of Sybaris. It was fascinating to learn that the concept of intellectual property originated there in the form of a recipe. First things first, I guess...

sardith
Lexiterian

Re: intellectual property

Postby sardith » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:49 am

Thank you, Slava, for teaching me how to do the quote box. I think I just did it correctly. :)

Regarding this:
I have just now (2 months later) followed Luke Javan's link to the article on the ancient city of Sybaris. It was fascinating to learn that the concept of intellectual property originated there in the form of a recipe. First things first, I guess...
I was thinking about all the Chefs I have known and how protectively they treat all their recipes. In this case, 'intellectual property' is top secret!

Sardith
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~Mark Twain, [pen name for Samuel Clemens], American author and humorist, (1835-1910)~

sardith
Lexiterian

Re: intellectual property

Postby sardith » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:50 am

Thank you, Slava, for teaching me how to do the quote box. I think I just did it correctly. :)

Regarding this:
I was thinking about all the Chefs I have known and how protectively they treat all their recipes. In this case, 'intellectual property' is top secret!

Sardith
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~Mark Twain, [pen name for Samuel Clemens], American author and humorist, (1835-1910)~

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:09 pm

Food does concern us all so it makes much sense.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”