potentate

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Klimt
Lexiterian

potentate

Postby Klimt » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:34 pm

potentate

1. One who has the power and position to rule over others; a monarch.

2. One who dominates or leads a group or an endeavor: industrial potentates.

His principal weight and influence in the republic are derived from this independent title; from his great patrimonial estates; from his family connections with some of the chief potentates of Europe; and, more than all, perhaps, from his being stakeholder in the several provinces, as well as for the union; in which provincial quality he has the appointment of town magistrates under certain regulations, executes provincial decrees, presides when he pleases in the provincial tribunals, and has throughout the power of pardon.

While at anchor at this place, much ceremonious visiting and long conferences took place between the potentate of the islands and the partners of the company.

The gleaming metal and jewels of the gorgeous ornaments of the men and women, duplicated in the trappings of the zitidars and thoats, and interspersed with the flashing colors of magnificent silks and furs and feathers, lent a barbaric splendor to the caravan which would have turned an East Indian potentate green with envy.

He knew that he was too far inland for his uniform to have any significance to this native tribe to whom no inkling of the World War probably ever had come, and he could only assume that he had fallen into the hands of the warriors of some savage potentate upon whose royal caprice his fate would hinge.
Whoever wants to know something about me - as an artist which alone is significant - they should look attentively at my pictures and there seek to recognise what I am and what I want.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:16 am

Let me propose an antonym, "impotentate:"

1.) One who has no power or position to rule over others;
2.) One who submits or follows a group or endeavor.

There are many more sheep than bellwethers on the planet.

Every now and then the sheep rise up in revolt against the bellwether, as they have in Egypt.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Let me propose an antonym, "impotentate:"

1.) One who has no power or position to rule over others;
2.) One who submits or follows a group or endeavor.
I almost like this one, except for the extra meaning if one puts the stress on the IM.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”