ambit

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Klimt
Lexiterian

ambit

Postby Klimt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:33 pm

[am-bit]

1. circumference; circuit.
2. boundary; limit.
3. a sphere of operation or influence; range; scope: the ambit of such an action.

Whatever the ambit of power conferred upon any organ of the United Nations, that may be ascertained only from the terms of the of the Charter itself.

A consciously formed wish, within the ambit of personal performance, will not be fulfilled until the imagination accepts its possibility.

I referred to the wide ambit and lack of definition of the allegations of fact in the written statements.
Whoever wants to know something about me - as an artist which alone is significant - they should look attentively at my pictures and there seek to recognise what I am and what I want.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:15 pm

While this one has nothing in common with gambit, it is related to ambulatory and amble. Ambulance, too.

My elderly neighbor takes a daily ambit around the block. It helps keep him ambulatory.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

ambition has no limit

Postby MTC » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:17 pm

That's a very ambitious undertaking for the elderly gentleman.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:24 pm

I should tell my kids that it is an unwise gambit to push me to my ambit.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”