cosset

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Klimt
Lexiterian

cosset

Postby Klimt » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:13 pm

cosset
[kos-it]

–verb (used with object)
1. to treat as a pet; pamper; coddle.
–noun
2. a lamb brought up without its dam; pet lamb.
3. any pet.

Russians, when abroad, are over-apt to play the poltroon, to watch all their words, and to wonder what people are thinking of their conduct, or whether such and such a thing is 'comme il faut.' In short, they are over-apt to cosset themselves, and to lay claim to great importance. Always they prefer the form of behaviour which has once and for all become accepted and established. This they will follow slavishly whether in hotels, on promenades, at meetings, or when on a journey.

This bag was made for my special comfort, and hung on the sofa where I lay all those weary days. Aunt kept it full of pretty patchwork or, what I liked better, ginger-nuts, and peppermint drops, to amuse me, though she did n't approve of cosseting children up, any more than I do now.
Whoever wants to know something about me - as an artist which alone is significant - they should look attentively at my pictures and there seek to recognise what I am and what I want.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

costive corseted closet cossets?

Postby MTC » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:58 pm

Lap dogs are one type of cosset. According to Wikipedia the Chinese Imperial Family carried tiny dogs in the "capacious sleeves of (their) robes." Ergo, "Sleeve Pekingese." I mean how cosseted and emasculated can you get?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: costive corseted closet cossets?

Postby Slava » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:02 pm

This is another one of those words that I've never come across in one of its forms. I didn't know the noun use of this.
Lap dogs are one type of cosset. According to Wikipedia the Chinese Imperial Family carried tiny dogs in the "capacious sleeves of (their) robes." Ergo, "Sleeve Pekingese." I mean how cosseted and emasculated can you get?
Think Bruiser in the movie "Legally Blonde".

Along the same lines, when a friend's dog was sick in Moscow, the vet came over to tend to her and brought her dog with her. (Yes, vets make house calls.) I didn't see the dog at first when I came to visit, as it was hanging on the coat rack.

To make travel about the city and metro easier, this dog had been brought up being lugged around in a carry-all. It calmly hung there on the wall until the vet was finished and took it home.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

hot dog, sea dog, sun dog, hangdog

Postby MTC » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:15 pm

This gives the word "hangdog" an entirely new meaning.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: hot dog, sea dog, sun dog, hangdog

Postby Slava » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:29 pm

This gives the word "hangdog" an entirely new meaning.
True, only this one was quite satisfied with its fate.

Now, of course, we need to find out more about where "hangdog" comes from.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”