Bud

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Bud

Postby Slava » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:24 pm

As it is that time of year when plants get to budding, I thought I'd toss this one into the pot and see if anything comes of it.

It has lots of different meanings, and a mysterious etymology.

If any rounded protrusion on the body can be termed a bud, does that make zits buds?

Zit has an even more secretive background. No one has a clue.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

nipped in the bud

Postby MTC » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:11 pm

There beings no takers to your challenge, I (perhaps foolishly) will step up to the plate. According to Wiktionary, the primary etymology of "bud" is: "From Middle English budde 'bud, seedpod', from Proto-Germanic *buddōn (compare Dutch bot 'bud', German Hagebutte hip, rosehip', Butzen 'seedpod', Swedish dialect bodd 'head'), perhaps from Proto-Indo-European *bheu-, *bu- (“to swell”)."

The other etymology has to do with the name, "Bud"' and we all know it originated eponymously with James "Bud" Anderson Jr. (aka Billy Gray) of Father Knows Best fame.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:31 pm

Well, it seems Wiktionary has more confidence in its sources than etymonline:
late 14c., budde , origin unknown, perhaps from O.Fr. boter "push forward, thrust," itself a Germanic word (cf. Du. bot "bud," O.S. budil "bag, purse," Ger. Beutel ), or from O.E. budd "beetle." The verb is c.1400.
So, which do we go with? Can the Doctor help us out here?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”