sockdolager

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
sardith
Lexiterian

sockdolager

Postby sardith » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:57 pm

Dear Dr. Goodword,

It's been over a year since I first requested you 'knock out' this word for all of us, but since it popped up again, would you, could you, please? :?

It provokes my curiosity that this may have been the last word that President Lincoln heard before he died.

Thank you,
Susan Ardith Lee :)

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:54 pm

Given that there seems to be no known etymology, there may be so little for the Dr. to "knock out" that he isn't able to give this one the treatment it deserves. It seems we need more research to make this a story that can be told.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

sardith
Lexiterian

sockdolager

Postby sardith » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:48 pm

I can appreciate that, but I will keep my eyes open, just in case... :wink:

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:01 pm

Go on the hunt, and should you catch anything of note, make sure to let us know, OK?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

sardith
Lexiterian

sockdolager

Postby sardith » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:29 am

Sure thing! :)

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:16 am

There's some American History associated with this word.
sockdolager 1830, "a decisive blow," fanciful formation from sock (v.) "hit hard;" also said to be a variant of doxology, on a notion of "finality." The meaning "something exceptional" is attested from 1838. Sockdologising was nearly the last word President Abraham Lincoln heard. During the performance of Tom Taylor's "Our American Cousin," assassin John Wilkes Booth (who knew the play well) waited for the line "Well, I guess I know enough to turn you inside out, you sockdologising old man-trap," and as the audience laughed, Booth fired the fatal shot.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”