weathercock

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
sardith
Lexiterian

weathercock

Postby sardith » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:04 pm

I would like to know about this word, 'weathercock', especially how it ended up with the 2 seemingly different definitions, which I notice frequently happens~one definition that is literal and one that is more figurative. :?

This is startlingly clear to me now, as in the last 2 years, my 23 year old daughter, who suffered a type of brain injury, is usually only able to think in the literal sense, and I must re-explain every joke, and sometimes whole conversations because of this.

Anyway, I am interested in hearing more about this word, if a column could be done about it, please.

Thank you,
Susan Ardith Lee :)

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Weathercodk

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:10 pm

Susan,

The standard weather vane on barns and other buildings for decades if not centuries contained the image of a rooster, hence "weathercock". Since weathercocks veer in the direction of the wind, it soon came to be used to indicate someone or something that follows the direction of the metaphorical winds, the winds of change.

I hope I understood your question correctly.

--RB
• The Good Dr. Goodword

sardith
Lexiterian

weathercock

Postby sardith » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:37 pm

Yes, thank you.

That answers it except, do you find that this kind of 'dual phenomenon' of literal/figurative meaning development happens with regularity? :?

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”