slough

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Pattie
Junior Lexiterian

slough

Postby Pattie » Thu May 05, 2011 2:54 am

Today's good word - sough - puts me in mind of another 'ough' word that doesn't get much of an outing, maybe because it usually indicates gloom: slough (as in slough of despond, which, I hasten to assure my fellow Agorites, could rarely be said to decribe my state of mind).

Pattie
PattieT

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Thu May 05, 2011 5:08 am

Nice choice, Pattie.

As a side note, there is a town in England called "Slough" which became the object of a poetic rebuke. According to Wikipedia,
"1937: The poet John Betjeman wrote his poem Slough as a protest against the new town and 850 factories that had arisen in what had been formerly a rural area, which he considered an onslaught on the rural lifestyle:
Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough
It isn't fit for humans now
There isn't grass to graze a cow.
Swarm over, death!
However, on the centenary of the poet's birth, the daughter of the poet apologised for the poem. Candida Lycett-Green said her father "regretted having ever written it". During her visit, Mrs Lycett-Green presented Mayor of Slough David MacIsaac with a book of her father's poems. In it was written: "We love Slough".[56]"

We love "slough" too.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu May 05, 2011 10:57 am

Here's the Dr.'s treatment of slough.

This is also a nice double pronunciation word. With the gh pronounced, it has a different meaning.

I like the phrase, "slough off my slough of despond."
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”