RAIMENT

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

RAIMENT

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:27 pm

• raiment •

Pronunciation: ray-ment • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. (Mass noun) Clothing, apparel, usually unusually beautiful. 2. (Count noun) A garment or article of (fine) apparel.

Notes: Today's Good Word is presented in many dictionaries as a simple synonym for clothing, but the beauty of the word itself usually conveys the sense of extremely fine clothing. It may be used as a mass noun like apparel with no plural (She arrived in raiment fit for a queen) or as a count noun like garment (Her finely fashioned raiments stunned everyone in the room). It may also be used as a verb.

In Play: The first sense of today's word is physical clothing or apparel: "Maude Lynn Dresser attended the party in raiment that raised every eyebrow in the house." However, the same metaphors that apply to apparel work even more beautifully with this word: "The maple trees in their raiment of red and gold slowed traffic down to a crawl."

Word History: Today's Good Word is rather the score of a lexical tennis match between Germanic and Romance languages. It is based on a Germanic word borrowed by Latin, passed on to Italian, borrowed by French and returned, at last, safe if not sound, to a Germanic language, this time English. Most recently this word arose by shortening Middle English arayment "clothing", borrowed from French araiement. French inherited its word from a Vulgar (Street) Latin word we can no longer find or borrowed it from Italian arredare, which now means "to furnish". The Latin word came from ad "(up) to" + redare, a word that must come from the Germanic stem raed-, also the source of English ready. The original verbal meaning, therefore, would seem to have been "to ready up", a sense that slid very comfortably into "to dress". (Let us all now raiment Joe Heckel with our warmest gratitude for suggesting today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

sardith
Lexiterian

raiment

Postby sardith » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:13 am

Dear Doc,

I don't know what's wrong with my 'inner' ear, or what you would call it, but I have always pronounced that word, 'rain-ment'.

My reading exposure to this word is the regulation King James Version of the Bible, which sprinkles it around liberally, "The life is more than meat, and the body [is more] than raiment." Luke 12:23, e.g., and although I would never misspell it, that 'n' would inevitably find its way in my speaking voice! :shock:

I find that amazing and humorous. :oops:

Have a resplendent day!
Sardith :lol:
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~Mark Twain, [pen name for Samuel Clemens], American author and humorist, (1835-1910)~

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:40 pm

The Royals will be resplendent in their raiment today, but Sardith's self-effacing good humor shines even more brightly.

And by the way, why not "rainment" for high-end rainwear by
Chanel, for instance?

P.S.

A revelatory ray through the clouds that raiment is also a verb.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:06 pm

The Royals will be resplendent in their raiment today, but Sardith's self-effacing good humor shines even more brightly.

And by the way, why not "rainment" for high-end rainwear by
Chanel, for instance?

P.S.

A revelatory ray through the clouds that raiment is also a verb.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:26 pm

I think you all have the movie "Rain Man" on your noggins.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

sardith
Lexiterian

raiment

Postby sardith » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Oh, not possible, Luke.

My auditory augmentation began long before 'Rain Man', but nice try. :P
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~Mark Twain, [pen name for Samuel Clemens], American author and humorist, (1835-1910)~

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:39 am

Sardith's "inner ear" problem made me smile. Wonder if there's a word that means "the insertion or substitution of letters in a word". My wife has an aunt that always talks about the money she saves by shopping at "Walmark". Never does any good to tell her the name of the store ends with a "t", not a "k".
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:26 pm

Don't know if this is the same, but all my very young
life I said "unelse" for "unless". It still sounds right
to me as I say it.
What about it Doc?????

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon May 09, 2011 12:40 pm

One that my father always corrected was the extra r in sherbet.

I'm sure there's a word for it, and I even think it's been done here. I just don't know how to find it.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:46 pm

Extra R's?
We have a town here nearby spelled NORFOLK.
But it is universally spoken of as NorfoRk.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon May 09, 2011 12:52 pm

A lot of people, even well-educated ones, pronounce sherbet as sherbert.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

sardith
Lexiterian

raiment

Postby sardith » Mon May 09, 2011 6:42 pm

I see, so I am not the only one with the auditory malfunction. That makes me smile. :)

Sardith :wink:

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon May 09, 2011 10:06 pm

I like that: "auditory malfunction". Bless Janet J. the word
is a virtual catch-all these days.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Rai[n]ment

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue May 10, 2011 11:29 pm

I'm sure Luke is not the only person who thinks or has thought this word to be rainment. It's called 'folk etymology' and I've written about it several times. Would a slicker or raincoat qualify as 'rainment'?
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Return to “Good Word Discussion”