dicey

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
sardith
Lexiterian

dicey

Postby sardith » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:36 pm

Hey Doc,

I was eavesdropping on a conversation amongst friends on a social media site, and one of them said that things in their life were, 'a little dicey,' and I'd like to know more about that word.

[Btw, it's not really eavesdropping, but I couldn't think of the appropriate word~help?] :?

Could you do a column on 'dicey', please.

Thanks,
Sardith :D
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~Mark Twain, [pen name for Samuel Clemens], American author and humorist, (1835-1910)~

Audiendus
Wordmaster

dicey

Postby Audiendus » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:10 am

Btw, it's not really eavesdropping, but I couldn't think of the appropriate word~help?
Overhearing?

According to the Online Etymology Dictionary, dicey (risky or uncertain) alludes to the rolling of dice. It originated as 1940s aviators' jargon.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: dicey

Postby Slava » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:56 pm

Btw, it's not really eavesdropping, but I couldn't think of the appropriate word~help?
Overhearing?

According to the Online Etymology Dictionary, dicey (risky or uncertain) alludes to the rolling of dice. It originated as 1940s aviators' jargon.
I saw that, too, but didn't see how it was used in flying. Why would it originate there, and not in dice games?

As to the other part, I was thinking "spying." Harsh, though.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

sardith
Lexiterian

dicey

Postby sardith » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:14 pm

How about, 'Overseeing', Audiendus. 8)

Or, speyeing...naw. :oops:

How 'bout being invited to a partyleyene...like when I was first married we shared the phone with 4 other families...NO privacy! :P

And the aviators...

I saw that too, Slava, and wondered how the aviators played into the whole story. :?

Sardith :)
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~Mark Twain, [pen name for Samuel Clemens], American author and humorist, (1835-1910)~

Audiendus
Wordmaster

dicey

Postby Audiendus » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:48 pm

I saw that, too, but didn't see how it was used in flying. Why would it originate there, and not in dice games?
Well, flying in World War II was a risky business. And how would one use 'dicey' in a dice game? Isn't the word essentially figurative?
How about, 'Overseeing', Audiendus.
Possibly, although it usually means 'supervising'. ('Overhearing' is not ideal, but we do talk about 'hearing' from someone when they write to us.)

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:44 pm

How's about the neutral "observed"? Or even simply "saw, " as long as we're talking about text.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

sardith
Lexiterian

dicey

Postby sardith » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:23 am

I like the word 'observed' the best. 8)

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:23 pm

Observed works for me too.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Dicey has always seemed to me to have the risky meaning skewed toward failing. Combat pilots get into dicey situations where they may be shot down. Spies find it a bit dicey when their cover may get blown. I'm not positive it's always spelled with the e. Haven't you encounted dicy?
pl

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:47 pm

Dicy? no. But Dicey always seems to me to be somewhat
askew: like spies, CIA, MI1, Bourne Supremacy types.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:41 am

I've also heard it in less serious situations:"Shh, this next card in my house of cards is a bit dicey to install."
pl

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Yes, Precarious, that would fit. Taking skill, expertise.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”