titubant

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
sardith
Lexiterian

titubant

Postby sardith » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:24 pm

titubant: A disturbance of body equilibrium in standing or walking, resulting in an uncertain gait and trembling.

Byron did something of the kind in Don Juan; and the world at large is still quivering and titubant under the shock of his appeal.
-- W. E. Henley, "The Secret of Wordsworth," The Pall Mall Magazine, Volume 30, 1903

What a terrific word, but unlike the influence of someone as romantic and charming as Don Juan, this is EXACTLY how I would describe the feeling I get when I exit an elevator! :roll:

(That would evidence still quivering semicircular canals, I believe.)

Regardless, I would love to see an article on this scarcely seen word.

Sardith :)
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~Mark Twain, [pen name for Samuel Clemens], American author and humorist, (1835-1910)~

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:23 pm

Akin to the feeling in my knees when I stand a long time without shifting my weight. Comes from 35 yrs of diabetes that induced a form of neuropathy that affects my balance.
pl

Audiendus
Wordmaster

titubant

Postby Audiendus » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:46 am

This word (= "staggering" or "reeling") seems to be much more common in French than in English.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:25 pm

Surprisingly titillating discussion.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:32 pm

The first thing that came to my mind when I read the definition was the idea of a sailor coming ashore after a goodly time at sea. They tend to stagger, as their "sea legs" aren't accustomed to the steadiness of solid land.

I think there's another word for this, but I can't come up with it at the moment. Can anyone else who's read Hornblower and/or Bolitho clue me in?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:42 pm

-Going on board, one has to get "their sea legs." Not sure whether one refers to "land legs." Someone reading this may have been in the Navy.
pl

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”