Quoting Newspaper Articles in the Forum

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
ashaffer
Site Admin

Quoting Newspaper Articles in the Forum

Postby ashaffer » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:06 pm

Hi,

I know that a lot of newspaper sites require registration to view articles, and the behavior is likely to go unnoticed, but I'd like to ask that people please not post full article texts from third-party sources. (Unless, of course, it's stated that such copying is allowed, which I think is the case with, say, http://www.wikipedia.com.) Just supply a link and a brief quote from the article.

If you're concerned/annoyed with required registration, take a look at http://www.bugmenot.com/, for a possible solution to the problem (and a plugin for the Firefox web browser, which I also recommend :D )

Thanks a lot,

Andrew
Last edited by ashaffer on Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Recursion is the root of computation since it trades description for time. - Alan Perlis

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:36 pm

A blow to the heart, Andrew ! Has the reproduction of, say, newspaper articles on membership fora like ours led to any problems (copyright, etc) for the operators of the fora ? The practice, as you know is common - but I shall naturally comply with your request and cease and desist forthwith. And your link to bugmenot site almost makes up for the loss !...

Henri
Last edited by M. Henri Day on Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

uncronopio
Lexiterian

Postby uncronopio » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:16 pm

I would prefer to see only the quote that makes the point for three reasons:
1. I am on a very slow connection at home, so long quotes add unnecessary waiting time to see the posts.
2. Complete articles tend to interrupt the flow of the discussion.
3. Partial quotes fall under fair use, so we would avoid any potential legal problems for Dr Goodword.

Many times the articles are not that interesting but for only one or two paragraphs, which should just be quoted. In the case of wikipedia, there is no process of registration involved, so people should just post the link.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." -- Mark Twain

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:08 pm

I agree with uncronopio.

-Tim

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:33 pm

I agree too, but often, to agree with Henri's penchant, to delete the superfluous, and get the nugget one must use lots of (...)'s

Katy

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:43 am

As is obvious from my previous postings, I am not entirely in agreement with uncronopio and Tim - rather more in agreement with Katy. My reasons are as follows - pithy epigrams do well in quotes and as clubs with which to beat one another over the head in a debate, but articles in extenso provide a basis which (better) allows the reader to draw his own conclusions concerning the validity of an argument. Thus I think that citing in extenso is more conducive to shedding light, rather than heat on a discussion. What I fear is that we can be reduced to quoting slogans at each other, which procedure usually leads to nothing more productive than the cementing of prior points of view....

Of course, interested readers can always look up the original text if a functioning link is provided, but one of the main points of a discussion is - at least to me - to awaken interest where none was before. As to these texts impeding the flow of argument, most of them are at the most no longer than a couple of pages, so I am not sure that they in fact do constitute so great a hinder (and surely, pausing to click on a link and read the text in another window is more of an impediment to a smooth flow than reading the text in the posting to which one is considering responding ?). Moreover, our own discourse on certain topics can, over the course of time, extend to quite a fair number of pages, in which case, unless one is blessed (cursed ?) with eidetic recall, it can be handy to have access to the text which gave rise to so many responses there on the same thread....

Slow modems are, of course, a problem, and we certainly don't wish to cause the Agora any difficulties with regard to possible copywrite infringment. That is why I asked Andrew if he was aware of any cases in which reproducing an article from the on-line version of, say, a daily newspaper on a discussion forum like our own had lead to difficulties. Does anyone else have any experience of such matters ? I find it hard to believe, for example, that solicitors for the New York Times will come beating on our doors, due to the number of articles I've forwarded to the forum, but of course, with a dastardly liberal rag like that, one never knows....

In any event, I've learned (I fondly hope !) a lot from the articles fellow Agorists have been kind enough to forward to our forum, and I hope that they will continue to do so, taking care that they do not infringe on anybody's copyright....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:08 am

Possibly the best course is post a url, state one's synopsis of it's content, give a pithy quote and let it go at that. Oc this presupposes that the readers will actually read the posted url. They may end up debating the merits of one's synopsis rather than the original.

Katy
Who promises not to post a whole article again, I'll leave out all third letters and really leave y'all guessing

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:46 pm

Who promises not to post a whole article again, I'll leave out all third letters and really leave y'all guessing
Just the solution we've been waiting for !...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:35 pm

Ye, ths soud mke higs ealy ntrrstng!

-Tim
...hope I posted correctly using the new code!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:43 pm

From an old Frank and Earnest Cartoon:
f w wnt t tlk rll gd wll hv t nvnt vwls!
Physics afcianodos (OOPS! "aficionados") will appreciate his take on Heisenberg . . .

. . . and perhaps Luis would appreciate this one . . .
Last edited by Stargzer on Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:48 pm

Physics afcianodos will appreciate his take on Heisenberg . . .
Is this deliberately following the new code?

Brzilian dde
Languages rule!

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:53 pm

you goofuses, years from now some meatball like Greendog will check out this thread and will call us all racists or sompin.....

Katy

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:42 pm

Don't you mean goofi? :wink:

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:44 pm

nope, Goofus isn't of Latin origin.

Katy
It's pure Anglo-saxon

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:48 pm

Yes, it was only borrowed from Latin. The original Latin spelling was gufus, but it was borrowed from the German Gupf, plural Güpfen. First documented Roman usage is describing Emperor Nero.

-Tim :P

Return to “Res Diversae”