CAROM

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

CAROM

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:13 am

• carom •

Pronunciation: kæ-rêm • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, intransitive

Meaning: 1. Glance off, bounce off, rebound, ricochet. 2. In such games as billiards, pool, and snooker, to bounce the cue ball off one ball and hit another.

Notes: English speakers have really had difficulty locating this word in their vocabularies. In some regions it is spelled carrom and, in still others, it has been corrupted to cannon. It is frequently confused with careen, as in "careened off the wall". Careen means "to turn a ship over for repairs". It has been used recently, due to the confusion with carom, to mean "rush headlong with an unsteady motion".

In Play: Since this word started out as a billiard term, let's give this sense a try first: "Gilliam shot the cue ball so that it caromed off the seven ball and knocked the eight ball into the side pocket." Now, though, this word has expanded its coverage to include such expressions as: "Using his mobile telephone while driving caused Rick O'Shea to carom off a telephone pole and come to rest in a ditch."

Word History: Today's word is an abbreviation for carambole "cue ball" borrowed from French quite "as is". Apparently, the word was reanalyzed as carom-ball in English, for it was used as a noun before it made its way to verbal use. In French it is a noun that referred to the red cue ball in billiards but also to the star fruit. The French borrowed it from Spanish or Portuguese carambola "star fruit" or "cue ball in billiards". It has been suggested that this word was taken from Marathi karambala "star fruit", a yellow fruit with ribs that grows in India, or Malaysian karambil "coconut". The trail stumbles here on a few problems: the star fruit is yellow and has ribs and the coconut is brown and much larger than a cue ball. (Let's hope this word of thanks does not carom off Luke Javan, who suggested today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: CAROM

Postby Slava » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:41 pm

"Bing, bing, bing, Carom Coney!" Nope, doesn't work.

What's this bit about the red cue ball? I thought they were white.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:43 pm

The American game of pool we are used to has a white ball, but billiards as such is a idfferent game I don't understand. I have usually her carom pronounced with the accent on a long O in the secibd syllable. Also, have heard the shot as described In Play called a carom, a noun, and pronounced as at the top of the page.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:16 pm

I have no idea what color cue balls are. As a youth I was never allowed to go into one of those dens of iniquity called a pool hall. Cf: "Ya got trouble, right here in River City." - "The Music Man".
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:23 pm

As my father was wont to say, "Proficiency at pool is a sign of a misspent youth."
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”