torpid

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
sardith
Lexiterian

torpid

Postby sardith » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:00 pm

This quote is the reason for my query:

“Novels so often provide an anodyne and not an antidote, glide one into torpid slumbers instead of rousing one with a burning brand.” ~Virginia Woolf, English author, essayist, publisher, and writer of short stories, (1882-1941)~

tor·pid (tôrpd)
adj.
1. Deprived of the power of motion or feeling; benumbed.
2. Dormant; hibernating.
3. Lethargic; apathetic

Then I had one last question: Does this word have anything to do with the word torpedo, and if so, how can one so slow, torpid, become one so fast, torpedo?

Thanks,
Sardith 8)
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~Mark Twain, [pen name for Samuel Clemens], American author and humorist, (1835-1910)~

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:26 pm

Good eye! They both come from the same root with etymology including a reference to the electric ray fish which stings and thus renders torpid. Torpedo first used in RRs to refer to a charge placed on the tracks to alert trains to an approaching problem. I would guess the sting of the underwater ray affected its use as the underwater bomb along with the rigidity of the cigar shaped tube.
pl

sardith
Lexiterian

torpid

Postby sardith » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:03 pm

Why thank you.
I have been told that my eyes are one of my best features. :wink:

I know. I couldn't resist...ugh. :roll:
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~Mark Twain, [pen name for Samuel Clemens], American author and humorist, (1835-1910)~

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:03 am

I do believe this means we need more emoticons. Where do we go to find a flirty, winky smile?

I also wouldn't minded having a smiling evil face for one of my recent posts.

:idea:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:16 am

You mean like this?
:twisted:
(Twisted Evil emoticon)

sardith
Lexiterian

torpid

Postby sardith » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:10 am

Audiendus,

Can you find an emoticon for the emotional outburst of frustration most commonly expressed by the word: 'Arghh'!

That's the one I wish was available many times.

Sardith :^/

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:34 am

Can you find an emoticon for the emotional outburst of frustration most commonly expressed by the word: 'Arghh'!
Well, I suppose you could use the 'Mad' emoticon and do something like this:

<<< :x >>>

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:17 pm

You mean like this?
:twisted:
(Twisted Evil emoticon)
I saw that one, but it's not smiling enough.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:27 pm

Meanwhile, Sardith of Fresno, I met a couple visiting from Bakersfield today, and for a couple of years we lived between the two in Tulare, while I worked out of Visalia. Small world, getting smaller. We may all need to learn a universal language. Catholic church was smart getting all priest to speak Latin.
pl

sardith
Lexiterian

torpid

Postby sardith » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:12 pm

Thanks, Audiendus, but I'm probably asking for the moon, since my 'Arghh' is not so much an angry frustration, but one where I might follow up the 'Arghh', with a sigh and a, "Typical," if that sounds familiar to anyone else.

Perry,
Yes, very small world! Hope you enjoyed your visit.

Sardith :roll:

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”