high-muck-a-muck

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
dsteve54
Junior Lexiterian

high-muck-a-muck

Postby dsteve54 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:48 am

high-muck-a-muck/high-mucky-muck/high-muckety-muck/, high muckamuck/muck-a-muck/muckety-muck, and such related phrases
.....Then there is Grand Poobah, Grand Pooh-bah, pooh-Bah other spellings.
Known in restaurant circles by quasi-Thai moniker, "That Guy" (e.g. heard in the back.."that guy is here again"; "that guy on/at table 10"; "that guy is going for a sirloin again", etc.)

Half the distance in half the states...from half2run.com

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:57 pm

I recommend you search both terms on this site. Poo-bah seems to come from a Gilbert and Sullivan opera. Muck means dung or something dirty or worthless. But what evryone needs to do is go read or re-read the 2006 thread about forms of address. After discovering it for the first time today, I'd recommend the sysop (Do we even use that word anymore) give it a place of honor on the home page. I'm going back now and comment to see if that'll resurface it for evyone to enjoy!
pl

dsteve54
Junior Lexiterian

Postby dsteve54 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:07 am

Oh, thank you for your response, but I am simply suggesting words that might be interesting for the Dr. to discuss in his column, per the forum index heading "Good Word **Suggestions**", words or phrases whose etymology might be interesting for general consumption. This category is for the purpose of providing ideas for his daily column.

I do personally have access to various etymological sources. If I ever actually need assistance personally, I will file my question under Good Word **Discussion**.

However, having said all of that please understand I was not "put out" by a helpful response like yours, even if the above may sound like it; I just wanted to point out the two forum categories...I was still glad that you took the time to respond. Thank you.
Known in restaurant circles by quasi-Thai moniker, "That Guy" (e.g. heard in the back.."that guy is here again"; "that guy on/at table 10"; "that guy is going for a sirloin again", etc.)

Half the distance in half the states...from half2run.com

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”