PICARESQUE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

PICARESQUE

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:43 pm

• picaresque •

Pronunciation: pi-kê-reskHear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Having to do with a rascal or scalawag, usually of the lower class, whose life is a series of adventures in which he or she plays hypocritical and corrupt wealthy people for fools.

Notes: Picaresque folks usually lead picturesque lives, but don't confuse the two words. Do remember the French 4-letter spelling of the [sk] sound, -sque. The first picaresque novel was Spanish, Vida de Lazarillo de Tormes (Life of Lazarillo de Tormes), published anonymously in 1554. The earliest English picaresque novel is Daniel Defoe's Moll Flanders, whose heroine takes advantage of the hypocrisy and gullibility of the upper class to make her way through life, victim by victim.

In Play: We do hear of people who lead picaresque lives outside novels: "Martina climbed a picaresque ladder from the shanty town where she was born to the executive suite of the corporation where she works now." More broadly, today's adjective may be used to depict an adventuresome life that pays little attention to the line between right and wrong: "Jimmy Chonga must have traveled a picaresque road between his career as a professional wrestler and his current position as a minister in the local church."

Word History: Today's word is a French adjective based on the Spanish noun pícaro, the hero of picaresque novels. It comes from picar "to peck, nibble", but once meant "attack with a barbed tongue". This verb descended from Vulgar Latin piccare, for which we have no written evidence. However, it must have existed, since we find its descendants in Romance languages, languages that derived from Latin. Another is French piquer "to prick", which English borrowed for use in such expressions as pique my curiosity. The Old French noun pique meant "irritation", a meaning it still bears in English today, as to insult someone in a fit of pique. (Join other verbiculturists today in our Alpha Agora to discuss this fascinating word and other Good Words in our series.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

BarbaraK
Junior Lexiterian

love the word

Postby BarbaraK » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:25 am

I enjoyed seeing this word of the day as I taught Spanish and Spanish literature...I have a special place in my heart for Lazarillo de Tormes...but this word always makes me smile because I remember a student who ,when I said "picaresque" said ,quite haughtily, "don't you mean 'picturesque'?".. :lol: ...this might be a good time to suggest "quixotic" as a future "good word"

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:31 pm

-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:05 pm

And here.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:18 pm

Oh, yes, I remember that conversation well. Lots of
ideas there.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:26 pm

There should be a reference to "picayune," the word, possibly in the same family, that I am most familiar with as in the MS town and the NOLA paper. And "pickaninny" plus "pickadilly."
pl

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:26 pm

There should be a reference to "picayune," the word, possibly in the same family, that I am most familiar with as in the MS town and the NOLA paper. And "pickaninny" plus "pickadilly."
pl

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:35 pm

I am probably mistaken, but it seems we discussed
those somewhere. Perhaps another site.

BarbaraK
Junior Lexiterian

Postby BarbaraK » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:06 am

thanks,Luke, interesting, I had not seen that..
but it never made it as "good word" of the day?

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:39 pm

Nope, never did. Doc's choice. But we can still
play with it here. I really like the word, and
I do use it on occasion. Spelling it takes time
however, when writing it down. And as
Slava pointed out above it has been here a
couple of times.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”